Continental Terrain Contact A/T 285/45/22

D_Spin

Earlier this week I had the Continental Terrain Contact A/T put on the truck. They were replacing the Nexen Roadian HP's the previous owner had installed. (The Continentals are considerably wider than the Nexens were, in the same size) I ran them down to 2/32" to get as many miles as I could out of them. With winter coming, it was time to make a move. After calling around and taking into account the rebate, the dealer was the cheapest, much to my surprise. 

I've only had them on about a week so far, still messing with tire pressures to get an even tire wear using the chalk method. But so far these are the quietest A/T I have ever had. In rain it feels like they are glued to the street. On dry pavement they a have very firm (not harsh) feel. Response is dead nuts on with no wonder. I have a 1000 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks, through the mountains of West Virginia that should give a wide variety of driving conditions, so I'll report back after that. But so far initial impression is very very good 

This is a pretty mild A/T. It fits the vast majority of truck owners that spend much of their time on the road and a little bit in grass, dirt, gravel roads, etc. I spend most of my time on road. But often find myself in grass, gravel roads, loose dirt etc at camp. So having a tire that's civilized around the city but still capable at camp/farm was important. And this was exactly what the tire was designed for. So far, I'd have to say Continental hit a home run here. In 285/45/22, they are middle of the pack as far pricing goes. Now they don't have the 3peak mountain symbol, but I'm not at all concerned about it. It's a very good tread design that had proven to be very capable in snow in Tire Rack testing. I will update this as winter goes on and the snow falls, but I am expecting them to do well... Here are pics of them installed on my 2015 Crew standard bed. 

20191129_154237.jpg

Edited by D_Spin
  • Like 3

I just put these on last month too we have some snow in the forecast the next 2 days so I’ll give My thoughts as well. But I agree with the review so far. Glue in the rain, quiet on the highway and great on dry pavement and gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it snows, I'm poised to have a good opportunity to try them in "first tracks" conditions. Part of my responsibility at work is over night snow removal, so when I get called in, the snow has fallen, and I'm the only one out on the roads. Plus regular trips to ski resorts with the kids around the Mid-Atlantic. 

Definitely not paid. I have no dog in this fight, and to be honest, these are the first set of Continentals I've ever bought. I've had 37" Bias ply Iroks, drag radials to z rated gumbands and budget A/Ts over the years. For a daily driver, these may be my favorite tire thus far. 

Nice looking tires! I was seriously considering these but, I wound up going with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S... If I didn't drive in snow I would have probably gone with the Continentals too but, I wanted something severe snow rated.. Will be curious to hear your reports on snow, tire racks review said that they were sufficient but, not great in the white stuff.  

Edited by Imcrazy

5 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

Nice looking tires! I was seriously considering these but, I wound up going with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S... If I didn't drive in snow I would have probably gone with the Continentals too but, I wanted something severe snow rated.. Will be curious to hear your reports on snow, tire racks review said that they were sufficient but, not great in the white stuff.  

How do you like the Coopers, I have had different series of the Discover's before and really like them.

Just now, JimCost2014 said:

How do you like the Coopers, I have had different series of the Discover's before and really like them.

So far, so good... Only been about a week so far, no snow usage to report but, good in the rain & dry also quiet... Last two sets I had were Discoverer ATP's (discount tire exclusive) only got about 40k miles outta those and they were down to 4/32...

18 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

So far, so good... Only been about a week so far, no snow usage to report but, good in the rain & dry also quiet... Last two sets I had were Discoverer ATP's (discount tire exclusive) only got about 40k miles outta those and they were down to 4/32...

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like we are going to see snow in the PNW again this year, might pull the trigger sooner than later on new tires, updates on your would be great.

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like we are going to see snow in the PNW again this year, might pull the trigger sooner than later on new tires, updates on your would be great.

Will try to remember to shoot you an update. Check out tire rack , they did a full battery of tests on 4 tires, the Continentals the OP has, the Coopers I have, Bridgestone Revo's and one more I can't recall.. It helped me a lot with my decision... 

• Like 1