Transmission running hot

I just purchased a 2020 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L engine w/6speed transmission.  It is rated to pull a 5th wheel 14500-16000lbs.  Mine will be 11,500 and I am concerned about the transmission heat.  Yesterday it was 60 outside and I was running at 70 mph.  The transmission was at 196 degrees the whole time. Now no trailer attached, just me and the wife.  I'm thinking that if I have the 5th wheel connected and hit a mountain, I'm in trouble.  My old 2014 3500 diesel would have been running at 155/160 max.  Should I be concerned????

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to see mine after I read this the other day. Mine was running around 180-190 today in 38* F temps. Must be these new ones run a little warmer. My 03 would run around 110 in similar temps. As long as it is cooler than or the same as the engine it should be no concern. This doesn’t have an analog gauge, so I don’t know where the ‘danger zone’ starts but I know I had my 03 up to 275ish while plowing heavy, and that was just below where the red started. Never had a trans issue and sold it with 275,000 on it. I know it is a different trans, but should be similar. 

I can pull 8k pounds from sea level to 6500ft with my 17 6.0 in 90 degree heat... 4th gear and my trans at its highest temp was 196. I think I only heard my truck fan turn on once.lol. I’d start getting concerned around the 240 mark......but like that lead engine developer guy from gm said....”it will pull day in and day out at max towing”

Mine is not an HD. But the regular 1500 trucks run 210 degrees normally. At least mine and my father in law's truck does.

GM trans just run that temp normally I think. Concerned me at first when I was new to GM as well. Just what they are designed for temp wise. It's normal temp.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk