Remote Start, Defrost Not Coming On

I have an intermittent problem with the remote start on my '19 Custom. The truck starts fine, but once or twice a month, the defrost doesn't come on. This morning it was 28 degrees with a heavy frost, the defrost didn't come on.  Since it's an intermittent problem, I'm sure it would work fine if I take it to the dealer. 

Anyone else having this issue, or know of a fix?

Edited by 383

4 hours ago, 383 said:

I have an intermittent problem with the remote start on my '19 Custom. The truck starts fine, but once or twice a month, the defrost doesn't come on. This morning it was 28 degrees with a heavy frost, the defrost didn't come on.  Since it's an intermittent problem, I'm sure it would work fine if I take it to the dealer. 

I have the same problem with mine, but mine doesnt do it at all. It's never worked. No defrost or seat heaters. Steering wheel works though. I've got a 19 denali with tech package. 

Edited by rosepaule

On 1/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, 383 said:

Mine does that intermittently as well. However, what REALLY peeves me is that it in cold weather it doesn't automatically turn on the rear defrost with remote start. My $20,000 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander did this. Why my 2019 $35,000 truck doesn't do this, is straight jackassery. 

Edited by Method2Madness

On 1/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, rosepaule said:

I have the same problem with mine, but mine doesnt do it at all. It's never worked. No defrost or seat heaters. Steering wheel works though. I've got a 19 denali with tech package. 

Do you have them enabled in the personalization menu's?

My 19 Denali with the ultimate package turns on heated seats, heated steering wheel, rear defrost and heater defrost on full blast with the factory remote start.  I even have an aftermarket remote start installed (extended range of 15,000 ft.) that turns on the heated seats and rear defrost.

14 minutes ago, Vigilante375 said:

I've noticed this too but I wonder if it's tied to the temp you had the truck at before you turned it off....

Supposed to to be tied to the ambient temps when it is started.  

Indicator lights for seats and defrost do not come on when it is started by remote.

The heaters/defrosters (and seat ventilation on a hot day) need to be manually reactivated after key put in and it's turned on. (seems to be a GM thing...)

on mine, rear defrost usually comes on, heated steering wheel comes on, but heated seats do not (ventilated seats wouldn't come on in summer either with remote start)... currently at the dealer for recalls and a loose shifter... having them look at the heated seats not enabling while it's there... i'll try and remember to post back if they figure it out.

17 hours ago, redwngr said:

Supposed to to be tied to the ambient temps when it is started.  

Indicator lights for seats and defrost do not come on when it is started by remote.

The heaters/defrosters (and seat ventilation on a hot day) need to be manually reactivated after key put in and it's turned on. (seems to be a GM thing...)

I'll try it before I leave from work today and set the temp to max and see if it's tied to the temp outside or what you had it on last.  It's supposed to be in the 70s today.

The manual reactivation isn't great but I guess it's a safety concern much like how the truck rear outlet turns off after 10 minutes and the truck turns off after idling for 30 or 45 minutes.  My ZL1 does the same thing.

2 hours ago, Vigilante375 said:

I'll try it before I leave from work today and set the temp to max and see if it's tied to the temp outside or what you had it on last.  It's supposed to be in the 70s today.

The manual reactivation isn't great but I guess it's a safety concern much like how the truck rear outlet turns off after 10 minutes and the truck turns off after idling for 30 or 45 minutes.  My ZL1 does the same thing.

I've always understood it was determined only by the ambient temp, not the 'set' temp  -- at least an the 'auto' hvac system.

I wouldn't expect the electric heaters to work if it's in the '70's.

16 hours ago, redwngr said:

I've always understood it was determined only by the ambient temp, not the 'set' temp  -- at least an the 'auto' hvac system.

I wouldn't expect the electric heaters to work if it's in the '70's.

Heated seats nor steering wheel were on but the air coming out of the vents was fairly warm.

I never have used the auto hvac and don't ever plan to.

Something new I learned, though I only moved up to the remote start last year with my ZL1.  Still new to me and learning what it can and can't do.

9 hours ago, Vigilante375 said:

Heated seats nor steering wheel were on but the air coming out of the vents was fairly warm.

I never have used the auto hvac and don't ever plan to.

Something new I learned, though I only moved up to the remote start last year with my ZL1.  Still new to me and learning what it can and can't do.

Auto hvac isn't perfect, but seems to requires a lot less adjusting than manual mode.