doing a gas engine to diesel transmission matchup

Find out the specific type of transmission that is in the truck.  It's likely a 4l80e, but I don't know for sure.

After this, you should be able to google for how to mate up the engine with the transmission.  You may need to find the "type" of engine/block to make google results better.

Assuming you can bolt them together, and get a flexplate and a 4l80e torque converter with a reasonable stall for the engine (maybe later model HD trucks, from say just before the switch to the GMT800 platform), the final thing will be the transmission controller.  The 4l80e is electronically controlled, and generally have a tcm that uses input from the ecm to aid in controlling shift points and torque converter lockup.  Your engine won't have a ecm to get these signals from, so you probably would have to spring for a standalone controller.

i think the tranny might be the same age as my pickup. not sure. i haven't gotten either of them yet and most likely not until spring. i was talking to another guy and he put his trans into a much older truck. he had to replace the valve body. This is what i was wondering since i will be putting the trans into about the same vehicle as what it came out of