Possible Ford defector...questions!

ero2

I have limited experience compared to a lot of members here, so take that into consideration with the following.

I drove my used ‘99 GMC 1500 5.3 4 speed for awhile, and overall it was reliable pickup that did what I asked. Only really weird thing was the transfer case rubbed a hole which was fixed. Other problems were mainly due to salt, rust, and age (eg. brakes, body) which were really killing the truck sadly. Usually averaged ~14 MPG overall. Otherwise it ran really well and pulled what I needed. 

My old boss had a loaner for awhile, a ‘17 Chevy 1500 5.3 8 speed. It ran smooth and was fast, but can’t say on reliability due to short time frame he had it. 

During school they had a 2011? Dodge 2500 5.7. Again ran well, was dependable but rode somewhat harsh unloaded. Pulled the school skid steer well, didn’t squat too bad with that Deere 240. It did squat pretty bad with a Bobcat T770 and a tree spade they rented but that’s pretty heavy. Sucked trying to back trailers since it was a crew cab long box. Also the bed sat pretty high so It was kinda tough to reach over the sides, but it still was a good pickup. Probably averaged ~11 MPG, but it got driven with a lead foot by everyone.

My dad went from a ‘92 K1500 5.7 to a new 2010 Dodge 1500 5.7. He really liked the truck for sure, and I’m actually driving that one now. I’ve noticed it has plenty of power, pulls hard and has good braking. He usually averaged ~16 MPG. Few minor items here and there, but nothing major that caused any downtime in ~150,000 miles. He now upgraded into a 2020 Dodge 1500 and so far loves it. All our pickups (except the 2020 yet) were daily’s with occasional pulling a utility trailer mainly of hay or a skid steer, etc., random hauling. 

Honestly I think they all make a pretty decent pickup that all may have issues, so buy what you like/need.

1 hour ago, ero2 said:

Thank you all for the insight and help so far!  I think I'm going to go drive a Sierra and see how I feel.  I drive a LOT, and don't haul a ton other than to the dump, furniture home when we buy some, etc. so have been looking at the 2.7, as I LOVE the MPG I can pull with my Ecoboost 2.7.  I'm a bit wary though, despite people's mostly positive reports so far, to go with one if longevity is my main concern, as they just haven't been around long enough yet?

If you guys hadn't gone Chevy, or are actively looking at something else, what route would you go?

No other route....driven all of em! 10-15 years out  Hit me back up and talk to me about your F-150?  Most likely you will have owned 3qty to my 1qty chitty Chevy?  That's the difference!

Edited by mookdoc6

Ero2- I'd suggest going with the 3.5 Eco over the 2.7 if you are going to go that route with the Ford.  I really do believe it is a better engine vs the 2.7L (and it sounds better too)

Just one thing though, with all these new direct injection engines, you need to be running top tier fuels and you need to be running a good additive or two in that fuel from time to time.  I recommend the BG44K a few times a year in conjunction to the top tier fuel.  The DI engines get carbon build up much more so vs traditional fuel injected engines.  Also running BG EPR once or twice a year when you do your oil change is a good idea too for the carbon build up.  (You add it to the crankcase (oil) and let the engine run or drive around for 10 min or so and then change the oil)  I can testify to this helping on DI engines (and non DI engines) and I have a few very smart trusted mechanics who are friends who also swear by it too.  this stuff is NOT snake oil.  They have told me that the Eco Boost engines are VERY prone to carbon build up along with many other engines, including the GM 3.6L V-6 direct injection engine.  I had my mechanic friend run it in my former vehicle, a 2013 Impala with the 3.6L and I did notice smoother idle and acceleration.  It only had 36,000 miles on it when I got rid of it to get back into a truck, but I swear by this stuff now. 

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-epr-engine-performance-restoration/

I had a 2018 f150 which had issues, but it had the 3.5 twin turbo, very peppy motor penty of power, I was given a 2.7 just like mine as a loaner while mine was in for repair and I drove it aprox 1000 miles, it was good but not as powerful, I would not pick it if I hauled loads or trailers with weight. also it was a little sluggish on highway compared to mine 

He’s talking about the GM 2.7. And no, it hasn’t been around long at all so you’re taking some chances (mainly if you’re keeping it past the warranty!)...they had some harness issues early on which have been solved, haven’t heard anything else. 

In real world reports, the GM 2.7 appears to get substantially better economy in the city than the V8s and the Ford V6s. On the highway, not as big of a benefit. It may be just what you’re looking for though.

My next truck will most definitely be another Chevy or GMC. But me and my family have General Motors Stockholm Syndrome at this point. Not likely to ever buy anything else no matter how bad it gets! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ended up taking it in today, AGAIN.  Had major knee surgery so did not drive it for 2 weeks.  (But did start it every 2 days). Drove about 12 miles today and the "wrench" icon popped up.  The pump that keeps fluids running during the start/stop has failed.  Will be covered under power train, but keep getting more and more concerned to keep this...

Nearly one year into my F150>SLT Sierra... the turbos on the F150 are rated for 150,000 miles, which means one conks out early and one lasts. No turbos on the GM 5.3

And really at two bucks a gallon gas mileage is secondary to reliability. I am not much a fan of the stop / start either. You are wearing out the $250 battery and $500 starter to save. Basically tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

good luck in whatever you decide!!