2011 GMC Sierra Remote Start Kit

Steven Tkachuk

Question

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500.  It has the Remote Start Prep Kit installed (AP8).  I've been trying to get the remote start Kit that includes the 2 Key Fobs and Authorization # for GM Service to reprogram the computer, however every dealership that I call say that the Part has been discontinued and no longer available.  My understanding is that this "Part" only contains the Key fobs, and GM authorization code.  I've checked everywhere online, but no one has the GM "Part".  Any help here?  

Can I buy the GM Key Fobs elsewhere, and still have the dealer re-program?  It seems Im in a vicious circle.  

Thanks, 

Steve

2 answers to this question

You are likely going to have to go aftermarket.  GM does not use common sense where it should be applied.  Back in 2010 I put 4.10 gears in my truck, went to the dealer to have the gearset applied to the speedometer.  Should be a no brainer right?  The techline refused to create the bin file that needed to be applied to the PCM.  Even found a truck on another dealerships lot that had the 4.10 gears and matched my truck completely, my dealer tried to get a new bin file for that trucks VIN, techline refused again.  The authorization number is what is not being produced anymore since you can still get a key fob with a remote start button it.  The authorization number was their way of forcing you to have it installed by the dealer.

Have you checked for the 2way remote start kit?  You may have better luck getting it NOS.  It only comes with the one keyfob though.  The fob eats batteries.  i get one winter out of the 2 batteries it takes.

I have to tell everyone this 1,000 times ... but, YOU DO NOT NEED A DEALER to reprogram ANYTHING!!!

Any competent shop with a good scan tool and/or a J-box can do this for you.

Key fobs are all over the internet. Don't need a dealer for those either!