Silverado transmission flush question

KevinA

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ-Z71 with 45,000 miles on it.  Dealer suggested transmission flush. I bit, but as I am leaving the dealership, employee stated since my Silverado has an 8 speed transmission instead of a 6-speed, it is a different kit, different fluid, and more fluid, so it will be $100 more than the $269.00 original quote. Has anyone heard of paying $100 more for a transmission flush because it is an 8 speed over a 6 speed? Just because it has 2 more clutches, it need different AND more fluid to the tune of $100? Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, KevinA said:

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ-Z71 with 45,000 miles on it.  Dealer suggested transmission flush. I bit, but as I am leaving the dealership, employee stated since my Silverado has an 8 speed transmission instead of a 6-speed, it is a different kit, different fluid, and more fluid, so it will be $100 more than the $269.00 original quote. Has anyone heard of paying $100 more for a transmission flush because it is an 8 speed over a 6 speed? Just because it has 2 more clutches, it need different AND more fluid to the tune of $100? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the post.

Yes they are different in a lot of ways, not sure about the fluid being different, but ask them to break it down for you.

How much more, and where the other costs are coming from.

3 hours ago, KevinA said:

Clutch pack qty's same I believe 3qty.  The fluid is WAY pricer than Dex6 and it takes 12-13qty to replace along with cooler & TC.  So yes it will be 100.00 bucks more I usually pay 200.00 something for my service on 8speed.

Anything the dealer does you will pay a ultra premium price for so-so work.  Service departments take advantage of the fact that there's not as much mistrust of them as there is of car salesmen. The objective of OEM dealers is to see customers often and increase profits.

I just had this service done on my 2016 GMC Sierra SLT yesterday. At first I called around and got prices, 215, 300 and 467. Called the 215 back to confirm that that is the price, even for an 8 speed since the other 2 checked the VIN and he confirmed that it's a flat rate special.

When I checked in he says that they only need to flush it for 167. I questioned him and asked if they had the machine to bring the fluid to temp and he was oh yeah. I let it go to see how it would play out.

Sure enough I get called out when the tech reaches that part of the service visit and informs him that they drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, just like I tried to tell him. I authorize it and watch the head service tech tell him that the fluid is more than the normal and he says to me again it's a flat rate special and that's what I paid.

Hi I have 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali, which has transmission shifting uses at low speed at about 10 mph, are you all having issues. Every time I take it in for service I have them check the trans they try something like replace the fluid and adjust clutches but nothing helps. The first couple of times within 25K miles I took it in they said they had found leaks in the trans seals but since still having the same shift issues now at 46K miles. I've been reading that there is a class action filled against GMC for this.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/gm-8-speed-transmission-fix-lawsuit.shtml

Roger

Edited by Roger - GMC