Trailer TPMS Sensor Size (Too Small)

Went to have the sensors installed today, and they are too small in diameter for my toy hauler with G-rated tires. Tire shop could not modify to get them to work (which is good, as I would not be comfortable with "modified" valve stems/sensors).

I read a post somewhere about this, but I cannot find it when I search.

Does anyone have a solution or alternate set of sensors that are compatible?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I actually posted a new thread. The new stems would not fit, but we did find a solution.  Used the older style ford "bands" / giant hose clamps and placed the sensors inside the tire/rim.  Pic attached.  Works great.  Hope this helps.IMG_6655.thumb.jpeg.33b14132b3404d65d521fe17f0e3fe6b.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Fortunately, mine installed without an issue. My trailer tires are 225/75R15. Must be smaller than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another fix: 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, SenecaDriver said:

My trailer rims had the large hole, supplied sensors are for the small hole rim,  I bought 6 metal stems that had rubber seal for both hole sizes.  Slide the large seal over the supplied stem , use the washer and nut from the metal stem, you now have a stem for the larger hole rim.  Do not remove any of existing seal from the supplied stems. Tried that on one and it leaked.  All working as advertised on all 6 wheels.  

@SenecaDriver -Thanks for this fix.  The valve stems that fit both sizes are called TR-416.  NAPA had them in stock at the local store.  NAPA Part #: NTH 90416

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90416

However, the threads on the TPMS sensors were too short to use the TPMS's existing seal on my aluminum wheels (maybe on a steel wheel they wold work?), anyway, my tire guy removed the original seal and was able to get them to fit.  They've been on for several days now @ 80psi with no leaks.

Once the Sensors were installed the trailering program recognized them and the set-up was pretty simple.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:45 PM, terdog98 said:

Just received them today.  They utilize the GM swivel base and attach to another make of TPMS valve stem with machine screw.  The thread fit is tight so I don't see any issues with it ever loosening.

161828500_GMTrailerTPMSMod.thumb.jpg.11138c3ef810eac84188e7ca75fbff05.jpg

Awesome! - thanks for the lead - I just ordered a set!

• 2 months later...

Got my new 3500 Denali last week and picked up the extra two sensors I need for my horse trailer on Monday. Took the trailer to the tire shop and didn't take long to figure out that the OEM stems are too small. After talking through some of the options others have taken as well as another one they threw out, decided to order the new/revised valve stems from Nichols. I also like that they're metal stems and not plastic. 

Taking the horses on a trip next week, so I'll get the sensors installed when we return. Hoping that everything else will go smoothly (programming, etc.).  

• 2 years later...

I ordered the NAPA valve stems and my GM trailer tire sensors should be here today. I am hoping the sensor will if NAPA valve. I’ve already moved the receiver out from behind the license plate for better reception.