Stereo volume spikes loud while driving

2019 Silverado trail boss custom 

I have a 2019  Silverado trail boss custom. My radio volume spikes super loud out of the blue while driving, this has been happening since new, it happens with no warning, it won’t do it for weeks and then it will happen 4 times in one day. The first time this happened it scared the crap out of me and caused a accident, I hit a concrete block at a low speed , no one was injured, thankfully, this issue has almost caused a few collisions. Now I drive with the radio. Super quit to avoid accidents , it’s need to the dealer multiple times .  Between customer care and the dealer I felt like they didn’t believe me, They can’t find the problem, customer care says it’s the dealers issue and the dealer says it’s up to customer care. Finally they have agreed  to replace the stereo, this is great and all but I. Still driving around with a dented fender from the accident. Plus who knows if replacing he stereo will fix the problem . This is a liability , Chevy should replace my fender,  I am super frustrated there’s nothing like buying a brand new truck and being afraid of listening to music while driving, I’ve had the truck since June of 2019 and have not been able to enjoy music while driving this is unacceptable 

It has nothing to do with the audio speed control. This is a real issue. When it spikes it’s really loud, it happens while driving 20 km hour : it has nothing to do white how fast I’m going, I deactivated that option on the interface and it still spikes with out warning, on the highway, driving through town to even in a parking lot, it is a untraceable issue, and is very frustrating 

is anyone else experiencing this 

Edited by Derek Parker

2019 Silverado trail boss custom 
I have a 2019  Silverado trail boss custom. My radio volume spikes super loud out of the blue while driving, this has been happening since new, it happens with no warning, it won’t do it for weeks and then it will happen 4 times in one day. The first time this happened it scared the crap out of me and caused a accident, I hit a concrete block at a low speed , no one was injured, thankfully, this issue has almost caused a few collisions. Now I drive with the radio. Super quit to avoid accidents , it’s need to the dealer multiple times .  Between customer care and the dealer I felt like they didn’t believe me, They can’t find the problem, customer care says it’s the dealers issue and the dealer says it’s up to customer care. Finally they have agreed  to replace the stereo, this is great and all but I. Still driving around with a dented fender from the accident. Plus who knows if replacing he stereo will fix the problem . This is a liability , Chevy should replace my fender,  I am super frustrated there’s nothing like buying a brand new truck and being afraid of listening to music while driving, I’ve had the truck since June of 2019 and have not been able to enjoy music while driving this is unacceptable 
is anyone else experiencing this 

By default the audio adjusts with the speed. It’s a setting that you can turn off. One of the first things i did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It has nothing to do with the audio speed control. This is a real issue. When it spikes it’s really loud, it happens while driving 20 km hour : it has nothing to do white how fast I’m going, I deactivated that option on the interface and it still spikes with out warning, on the highway, driving through town to even in a parking lot, it is a untraceable issue, and is very frustrating 

Edited by Derek Parker

• 3 years later...

I just purchased a 2023 Trail Boss : Having the same issue. Radio volume randomly goes full volume and then sends message "Device re-staring". This is a serious safety issue and I am currently being told it is a software issue that GM is working.  Other issues experienced : 1) Sound randomly just goes off like it's on mute. This situation only clears when i stop the truck, turn off the truck, wait a few minutes, and then restart. 2) Intermittent connection to phone. I have had 3 occasions where I get a call on phone and can hear the caller, but they cannot hear me. Again - if I stop and turn the truck off for re-boot everything works fine. 3) Radio volume does not increase very loud and I have static noise. This has only happened once, but cleared when stopped truck for re-boot.

If this is a software issue, this issue should be occurring on every vehicle sold. This information needs to be disclosed to consumers and GM needs to be aware that this is a serious safety concern. Judging from other posts, this issue is not new and has been around for a couple of years at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue on my 2022 refresh Trailboss LT. Everything was fine until I just took it in for first oil change and recall for DRLs. Next time I was in the truck I had no volume and kept thinking it was my phone not connecting. After messing with it forever and turning off bluetooth, the radio, etc, I finally realized the volume was down. When I used the dial to try and turn it up, it would just constantly override my efforts and turn it back down. Randomly it would stop doing that and I could hear the radio/music from my phone. Intermittent now, so pretty annoying.

My 2022 Sierra did it once a couple of months after I got it brand new. Luckily I was not on a major highway, so I immediately pulled off the the side and turned everything off. It was quite alarming. Hope someone can come up with a solution that stops it from happening in the first place

On 2/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, Brews02ws6 said:

Similar issue on my 2022 refresh Trailboss LT. Everything was fine until I just took it in for first oil change and recall for DRLs. Next time I was in the truck I had no volume and kept thinking it was my phone not connecting. After messing with it forever and turning off bluetooth, the radio, etc, I finally realized the volume was down. When I used the dial to try and turn it up, it would just constantly override my efforts and turn it back down. Randomly it would stop doing that and I could hear the radio/music from my phone. Intermittent now, so pretty annoying.

OK I posted the other day that I had the opposite happen, with volume mysteriously turning down and being unable to turn it up. Today I just had the OP issue with volume randomly spiking to the max and being unable to turn it down. Glad my wife and infant weren't with me. I had nowhere to pull over and turn off the truck, so I just stopped in the middle of the road and did it (nobody was behind me). I opened the door to turn everything off but when I started the truck again it still happened. What in the world is going on GM?!

6 hours ago, 603Denali said:

Not sure if this will help, had a similar issue and I deleted my profile and it all went away.  It works perfectly now.

That is certainly worth trying out, thank you. Anything to not have to go back to the dealer.

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, Brews02ws6 said:

That is certainly worth trying out, thank you. Anything to not have to go back to the dealer.

I am having the same issue with a 2022 silverado. The volume will spike to a very loud level without warning and it's definitely startling!  I'll have to try deleting my profile to see if that helps!  Happy to hear I'm not alone, but it is frustrating knowing it's been around for years without a resolution.

Edited by DBHH2021

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me today and couldn’t get it to turn down at all. Tried to call the dealer through the truck else it would go back to the radio but had to end the call because it was so loud. Tried shutting truck off and restart and was still max volume. Dealership says GM sent out a bulletin saying they’re working on it and trying to resolve. Most likely be a recall on the radios.