Auto 4wd noise

I’ve recently noticed a noise while my transfer case is in the auto 4wd mode. The noise only occurs when I’m turning, either way, and while pressing the gas. If I’m going in a straight line I don’t hear it and if I’m coasting trough a turn it’s not there either. It’s also not constant. It comes and goes through the turn randomly. There’s no noise in 2wd while doing the same things though. I can’t feel any play in the transfer case or the front differential. Both CV axles seem fine too. 

1 hour ago, silveradosid said:

when using auto 4x4 the front diff is locked in all the time, and when there is wheel spin the transfer case applies the clutches in it to give 4 wheel drive. you are hearing the noise from the front diff. 

Right but while I’m turning, the wheels shouldn’t be spinning enough to engage the clutches I would assume. Also I don’t remember hearing this noise before while doing the same thing. My tires are pretty worn down though. Is it possible that they lose enough traction that it’s causing the fork to engage the clutch packs?

On 2/22/2020 at 5:57 AM, silveradosid said:

when using auto 4x4 the front diff is locked in all the time, and when there is wheel spin the transfer case applies the clutches in it to give 4 wheel drive. you are hearing the noise from the front diff. 

Are you saying it’s locked in auto without wheel spin?  I’ve put mine in Auto 4wd twice now and it makes a whining noise when accelerating in a straight line.  Quickly put back in 2wd both times.  Hoping I don’t need a dealer visit at 500 miles.

• 3 weeks later...