Trailer TPMS Sensors Too Small - SOLVED

Finally got things installed, set up and working despite the valve stems being too small for my G-rated trailer wheels/tires. America's Tires used the Ford style "bands" to clamp the sensors to the inside of the rims.  Had to cut off the end of the stem to get them to fit within the rim section.  Works great.

IMG_6655.jpeg

• Like 1

No.  The system only allows you to set to a max of 100.  Tires are right at 110, but, interestingly, the system shows them at 102. It will still work just fine for temperatures and to see if any tire gets down below 100.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Tomato said:

No.  The system only allows you to set to a max of 100.  Tires are right at 110, but, interestingly, the system shows them at 102. It will still work just fine for temperatures and to see if any tire gets down below 100.

I got everything installed similar to yours. I am having a tough time getting them to learn with the inexpensive tool I have. I know everything works as I test synced when I got them. However I wonder since the sensor is inside the rim and tire if I should have synced them when wheel is broke down. Or if there is a difference in learning tools. Let me know how you did yours. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, dlockwood26 said:

I got everything installed similar to yours. I am having a tough time getting them to learn with the inexpensive tool I have. I know everything works as I test synced when I got them. However I wonder since the sensor is inside the rim and tire if I should have synced them when wheel is broke down. Or if there is a difference in learning tools. Let me know how you did yours. Thanks. 

I had some trouble, too and had to rotate the tires to just the right spot to get them all to sync. In hindsight, I should have left them off to sync, but I ended up lifting the trailer with the hydraulic leveling system just enough to turn them

1 hour ago, Tomato said:

I had some trouble, too and had to rotate the tires to just the right spot to get them all to sync. In hindsight, I should have left them off to sync, but I ended up lifting the trailer with the hydraulic leveling system just enough to turn them

Does the rotating activate them like the older sensors? I will try it tomorrow. 

I ordered mine off eBay and they sat in my glove box for weeks. Had them installed today. When I hooked the truck up and setup the trailer profile it prompted me to program tpms. Said I could do it manually or with tpms tool. I decided to try manually. Pressed start and went in order letting air out of each tire for at least 10 sec. got back in the cab and it was done.

EA3270C4-703C-4E34-BC71-04A98AEBE41D.jpeg

10 hours ago, dlockwood26 said:

Does the rotating activate them like the older sensors? I will try it tomorrow. 

Not sure what you mean, but rotating them just gets the TPMS sensor in the best position for the truck to pick it up. I think much depends on the length of your trailer.  I am guessing you are +/- 40 feet, given the G rated tires...

13 hours ago, Tomato said:

Not sure what you mean, but rotating them just gets the TPMS sensor in the best position for the truck to pick it up. I think much depends on the length of your trailer.  I am guessing you are +/- 40 feet, given the G rated tires...

I tried the air pressure method and rotating with tool. Without success. However since i had tested them before instal i had a trailer profile with them synced. I had to drive about a mile for them to start working but they did. Only problem now is i made the assumption learning wouldn’t be difficult and don’t know the correct location of sensor. I will get that figured out by letting air out again, watching display and moving tire and wheel. They all read 102 psi like you said but i am getting happier. Thanks for your help. 

10 hours ago, dlockwood26 said:

I tried the air pressure method and rotating with tool. Without success. However since i had tested them before instal i had a trailer profile with them synced. I had to drive about a mile for them to start working but they did. Only problem now is i made the assumption learning wouldn’t be difficult and don’t know the correct location of sensor. I will get that figured out by letting air out again, watching display and moving tire and wheel. They all read 102 psi like you said but i am getting happier. Thanks for your help. 

Glad you at least have them working.  How long is your trailer?  I had a TST TPMS system on a different trailer, and that actually had a signal booster mounted up front on the trailer tongue.  I wonder if GM or somebody has something like that for these?

1 minute ago, Tomato said:

Glad you at least have them working.  How long is your trailer?  I had a TST TPMS system on a different trailer, and that actually had a signal booster mounted up front on the trailer tongue.  I wonder if GM or somebody has something like that for these?

Trailer is 39’. The TST with booster is what i am replacing also. Want to eliminate the additional screen once i have confidence in them. 

• 2 months later...

Another fix for the large hole: 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, SenecaDriver said:

My trailer rims had the large hole, supplied sensors are for the small hole rim,  I bought 6 metal stems that had rubber seal for both hole sizes.  Slide the large seal over the supplied stem , use the washer and nut from the metal stem, you now have a stem for the larger hole rim.  Do not remove any of existing seal from the supplied stems. Tried that on one and it leaked.  All working as advertised on all 6 wheels.  

@SenecaDriver -Thanks for this fix.  The valve stems that fit both sizes are called TR-416.  NAPA had them in stock at the local store.  NAPA Part #: NTH 90416

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90416

However, the threads on the TPMS sensors were too short to use the TPMS's existing seal on my aluminum wheels (maybe on a steel wheel they wold work?), anyway, my tire guy removed the original seal and was able to get them to fit.  They've been on for several days now @ 80psi with no leaks.

Once the Sensors were installed the trailering program recognized them and the set-up was pretty simple.

• 1 year later...

I have the GMC TPM's installed on my 4 trailer tires. The front tires on the trailer are 23 feet from center of tire to the Ball hitch. GMC says the max is 23' to the hitch(bumper). I've read here that rotating the tires may be a possibility but, I wonder it that will work for the rear tires. Is there currently a booster that will work with my current GMC system? 

• Like 1