Denali w/ ARC Lift/Level Options/Tire Size Stock?

Looking to get a few questions answered because it still seems like there isn't a ton out there mod wise for the Denalis with the ARC shocks.

1.  What's the largest tire you can run without any suspension mods?  Stocks are 275/60/20.  Would it fit up to 295/60/20?  Is it just me or do the Denali's look like they have less clearance in the wheel wells than the other trimmed trucks?

2.  Rough Country has a 2" lower strut spacer.  Would that negatively affect the suspension travel for light off road use?  Can you add a larger rear block (+1") without having to add shock extensions?

3.  I've done as much research as I could find on the ARC shocks... are they legit/worth it?

4.  In your opinion, which would be a better overall vehicle (assuming some off roading as well) in terms of ride quality and performance?

A Denali with the BDS 4" lift kit 

or

AT4 with the 2.5" BDS Fox 2.5 Coilover setup

1. 295/60/20 with front level and decent amount of trimming/tying back

2. Just no to the RC lower strut spacer, bad news (hence why they don't sell anymore)

3. IMO yes

4. AT4 with the 2.5" BDS Fox 2.5 Coilover setup all day everyday

Edited by TheTicketTX

14 hours ago, TheTicketTX said:

2. Just no to the RC lower strut spacer, bad news (hence why they don't sell anymore)

3. IMO yes

1.  Not sure I have 22's.

2.  RC still sells this. I have this on my truck and my last one without any issues. Unless you are doing any serious off roading it will be fine. I also added a 1-1/4"  stock GM block from my last truck on it. I wanted some rake back in.

3.  Depends on what you want. I have the Denali Ultimate. I know it rides nicer  than my 2015 GMC SLT did. 

4. Again depends on what you want. If you are lifting and do not like chrome, save some money and get the AT4. I really don't think the ride difference especially coming from a non Denali will warrant the extra cost.

With that said, now that BDS has a 4" for ARC I might go that route with mine.

Edited by Fltmech
Sorry- Replied to wrong Quote.

1 hour ago, Fltmech said:

1.  Not sure I have 22's.

2.  RC still sells this. I have this on my truck and my last one without any issues. Unless you are doing any serious off roading it will be fine. I also added a 1-1/4"  stock GM block from my last truck on it. I wanted some rake back in.

3.  Depends on what you want. I have the Denali Ultimate. I know it rides nicer  than my 2015 GMC SLT did. 

4. Again depends on what you want. If you are lifting and do not like chrome, save some money and get the AT4. I really don't think the ride difference especially coming from a non Denali will warrant the extra cost.

With that said, now that BDS has a 4" for ARC I might go that route with mine.

2. You are correct. I know people off-roading with the lower spacer have had big issues

On 3/5/2020 at 10:17 PM, TheTicketTX said:

3. IMO yes

Dang only 2 sizes up and that much trimming?  Do the wheel well tapers (non-rounded) really cut down that sharp?  

I went from 275/55/20 to 295/55/20 with 1.8" Bilstein on my '15 and it has plenty of clearance.  It does rub on the sway bar at full lock moving forward though.  

1 minute ago, DENALIHD66 said:

Dang only 2 sizes up and that much trimming?  Do the wheel well tapers (non-rounded) really cut down that sharp?  

I went from 275/55/20 to 295/55/20 with 1.8" Bilstein on my '15 and it has plenty of clearance.  It does rub on the sway bar at full lock moving forward though.  

Mud guard and interior if you want zero rub issues, also depends on rim as well and if it has offset

8 hours ago, TheTicketTX said:

Mud guard and interior if you want zero rub issues, also depends on rim as well and if it has offset

I like to keep the factory 20s.  In my opinion factory wheels look great on these trucks with a little added rubber.  Typically if you go offset, more trimming is required because of more tire turning arc (negative offset).  These trucks are typically +27 OEM wheels.

26 minutes ago, DENALIHD66 said:

I like to keep the factory 20s.  In my opinion factory wheels look great on these trucks with a little added rubber.  Typically if you go offset, more trimming is required because of more tire turning arc (negative offset).  These trucks are typically +27 OEM wheels.

You should be fine. If anything maybe just bracket removal behind mud flap

On 3/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

Looking to get a few questions answered because it still seems like there isn't a ton out there mod wise for the Denalis with the ARC shocks.

1.  What's the largest tire you can run without any suspension mods?  Stocks are 275/60/20.  Would it fit up to 295/60/20?  Is it just me or do the Denali's look like they have less clearance in the wheel wells than the other trimmed trucks?

2.  Rough Country has a 2" lower strut spacer.  Would that negatively affect the suspension travel for light off road use?  Can you add a larger rear block (+1") without having to add shock extensions?

3.  I've done as much research as I could find on the ARC shocks... are they legit/worth it?

4.  In your opinion, which would be a better overall vehicle (assuming some off roading as well) in terms of ride quality and performance?

A Denali with the BDS 4" lift kit 

or

AT4 with the 2.5" BDS Fox 2.5 Coilover setup

I recently just did a BDS 6” lift on my Denali and I love it. The ride quality hasn’t changed much especially on open highway but in town driving having load range F tires makes it a little tougher than it was stock. I would recommend the BDS setup for the Denali with ARC.

4DA27504-B2F6-4B72-B70B-7D2CE39A6F3E.jpeg

6 hours ago, burban81 said:

I recently just did a BDS 6” lift on my Denali and I love it. The ride quality hasn’t changed much especially on open highway but in town driving having load range F tires makes it a little tougher than it was stock. I would recommend the BDS setup for the Denali with ARC.

Glad to hear you like the BDS.  The 4" system is better for me overall and I want some more rubber all around.  What size tires did you go with?  It looks like you had to trim the front air dam (Which I usually remove anyway).  

Do the BDS 4" and 6" systems increase off road flex at all?  I'm thinking because the shocks are fixed it retains the same flex but bigger tires help just a tad for obstacles.

19 hours ago, DENALIHD66 said:

Glad to hear you like the BDS.  The 4" system is better for me overall and I want some more rubber all around.  What size tires did you go with?  It looks like you had to trim the front air dam (Which I usually remove anyway).  

Do the BDS 4" and 6" systems increase off road flex at all?  I'm thinking because the shocks are fixed it retains the same flex but bigger tires help just a tad for obstacles.

I was going to go with the 4” lift but decided at the last second to go with the 6” and I’m glad I did. The off road flex doesn’t change at all besides giving more room for bigger tires. I have 35x12.5R22 on the truck

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, burban81 said:

Are you still loving this after 5+ months? This is the kit I want but don't want to hurt ride quality much. I

I have another thread going on the wheels and tires thread. I have a '19 Denali and I would highly recommend against using E/F load rated tires with ARC. I went with a suspensionmaxx 2.5 front and 1.5 rear level and a 295/60/20 ridge grappler. GM is a customer of my companies for some software and after having a number of ride related issues since putting on my 295/60/20 E load rated ridge grapplers, I reached out for some help with the suspension. I was finally able to talk to a GM engineer last week and he said that I will likely ruin my shocks with 10-15K miles due to the harshness of the tires and the sensitivity of the ARC system. I had already ordered a new set of 305/55/20s with the normal P car XL load rating but still wanted to ask some questions about the ARC system. Needless to say, replacing the tires should help a lot. He didnt have any concerns with the leveling kit as its not very big and it relocates things properly enough such that it shouldnt be causing any issues with the computer. 

Replacing the shocks on a denali is also a no go for now. There is a company named XIngineering I think it is that makes eliminators for the old mag ride shocks which then make it so you can put new shocks on. If you pull the shocks as is many of the electronics will fail as its all tied together with the various modes you can change (touring, sport, etc.), ABS, transmission behavior, etc. There are no options for the new ARC system yet so I went with the basic level but I would stay away from E/F load rated tires for the time being.