So I’m sure that this has been touched on before... but just purchased/installed the S-Type system (#140769) and while I am very pleased with it overall, after a little more seat time, have a couple concerns. 

1) Cold start is pretty obnoxious. Does tame down after it warms up and RPM’s drop though

2) Not sure if it’s a 10-speed thing - but almost sounds like a Jake Brake during decel when dropping gears coming up to a stop. (Think I got a few looks from other drivers assuming I am revving my engine)

Anyway, I had the Touring model on my 2011 and thought it was much too tame. But now kind of wishing I went with it instead of the S-Type in the 2020 TB. 

Now the question is.... has anyone had the Touring model in both a T1 and GMT900 that can chime in? Any differences? 

Also, wondering if just the Touring muffler can be purchased from Borla and can be interchanged? Or should I keep the S-Type and put a Borla resonator in-line? Really don’t want to drop another $1200....

I have the same S type system on my AT 4. I will admit when first installed and started I was taken aback at how loud it was. After several weeks of operation it appears to have "settled down" some.

I had Corsa cat back systems on my last 2 Sierra's.The first (2004) one I absolutely loved. The second (2012) I was disappointed at how quiet it was. This was due to design changes necessitated by the AFM engine.

I chose the Borla S type this time for a little more "bark". I find the system meets my expectations. The decel burble is there even with stock exhaust, just not as noticeable. Maybe it's just me, but it appears to be much quieter now vs when it was first put on.....Until you mash the gas pedal!!

Edited by Jac365
I hate auto correct

I have the S-Type and the bark on a cold start (especially a low-temp cold start) is loud but I love the sound. The newer transmissions drop gears as you decelerate so you are hearing engine breaking. 

Installed the S-type (#140733 stock tips) about a week and a half ago and agree that it’s louder than I really wanted on cold start but seems to settle down quickly and isn’t bad on the highway or around town.  I haven’t noticed the deceleration issue with my AT4 which is a 6.2L 10-speed.  I may switch to the touring if possible.  Going to give it another week to decide.

I had a Corsa kit on order but the dealer was giving me a hard time about it so I switched to the S-Type. Hope to have it installed next week. I have a newer AMG that’s pretty loud so the S-Type shouldn’t be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the replies. 

I really do dig the sound. Suppose I'll give it more time before deciding to make any changes. If I do, perhaps will try a Borla resonator before the muffler to see if this knocks a few dB's off. Guess I was just a little thrown off by the amplitude of the cold start and presence of decel burbles.

Whats the general consensus though... Do these systems typically get louder or quieter after break-in?

2 hours ago, west1nm said:

Thanks all for the replies. 

I really do dig the sound. Suppose I'll give it more time before deciding to make any changes. If I do, perhaps will try a Borla resonator before the muffler to see if this knocks a few dB's off. Guess I was just a little thrown off by the amplitude of the cold start and presence of decel burbles.

Whats the general consensus though... Do these systems typically get louder or quieter after break-in?

The loudness is not surprising with the Type-S. According to Borla, the GMPE is the same as the Touring with some slight tonal differences, but loudness is the same. I have listened to the GMPE multiple times in-person and it's fairly loud on cold-start so i can imagine the Type-S being a little obnoxious. In terms of an exhaust quieting down over time, it does happen. Some quiet down, some get louder. It depends on the construction. I was told by an exhaust shop that it's because of the exhaust soot coating the inner meshes in the muffler over time.  

There is Borla Type-S thread on here where people have brought up how loud it is. You should probably read through that for an idea of how to proceed. You could also contact Borla customer support for suggestions. They might even agree to swap it with the Touring for you. 

Hey man, I have the Borla touring (GM performance exhaust) for my 19 AT4 5.3. I absolutely love it but I wish it was a tad louder. I've read a lot of threads about the S type being too loud. I as well was wondering if I could swap the mufflers between the touring and S type. I may buy an S type muffler and switch out my touring muffler but Im not sure if that can be done. The touring has a nice tone, and isn't obnoxious. But then again, Im young and kind of dig the tone of the S type. 

4 hours ago, Amaze Productions said:

Hey man, I have the Borla touring (GM performance exhaust) for my 19 AT4 5.3. I absolutely love it but I wish it was a tad louder. I've read a lot of threads about the S type being too loud. I as well was wondering if I could swap the mufflers between the touring and S type. I may buy an S type muffler and switch out my touring muffler but Im not sure if that can be done. The touring has a nice tone, and isn't obnoxious. But then again, Im young and kind of dig the tone of the S type. 

You two should swap systems, lol. After all, you are both located in MI. 

• Like 1

I had a Corsa kit on order but the dealer was giving me a hard time about it so I switched to the S-Type. Hope to have it installed next week. I have a newer AMG that’s pretty loud so the S-Type shouldn’t be a problem

I’m curious, what was the dealers issue with the Corsa?

46 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

You two should swap systems, lol. After all, you are both located in MI. 

Ha, yup, saw that too.

I did speak with a Borla rep this morning. He stated that the S-Type will get louder with time - usually settling in around 1.5k - 2k miles.

So next we discussed using a resonator to help quite things down a bit. He agreed it would take it down a notch, so following our conversation, I placed an order for the Borla 401343 universal resonator. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but will certainly update once installed.

I’m curious, what was the dealers issue with the Corsa?

Kinda stupid really. Was claiming it’s not factory approved. In the end it wasn’t worth the fight and I’m fine going Borla. Got a better price on it as well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amaze Productions said:

I would be down to swap. However im leasing my AT4 and aftermarket exhausts (the s type not being sold by gm) would affect my lease agreement. 

Looks like Borla has a harmonizer to get ATAK sound from Type-S but they don't seem to have one that gets Type-S sound from Touring. Might be good to check with them if below could work with the Touring. Probably not but worth a shot. 

harmonizer.thumb.png.98669c62163cc02eade653f438c9239f.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, west1nm said:

Ha, yup, saw that too.

I did speak with a Borla rep this morning. He stated that the S-Type will get louder with time - usually settling in around 1.5k - 2k miles.

So next we discussed using a resonator to help quite things down a bit. He agreed it would take it down a notch, so following our conversation, I placed an order for the Borla 401343 universal resonator. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but will certainly update once installed.

That's interesting. Many here claim the S-Type get's a little quieter over time. Let us know how the resonator works out.