Shelled the G80

I've got a 2012 Sierra 1500 with the gu4 G80. Pulled out kind of in front of traffic and the g80 engaged. Heard a clunk. Drove straight fine, next turn more banging. So fairly certain it exploded. Trying to figure out my options. I'm going to assume the ring and pinion are ok...for now. Have yet to take anything apart until I figure out which direction to go. Any options in the aftermarket? What years for a junkyard rear end? Or just stick with oem? Never particular cared for the g80. It was real clunky in the 04 I had

It would have to be a 07.5+ to 13 rear end if you wanted to swap the whole thing. Then make sure the gear ratio matches but then are still left with another G80.

The other option if your gears are fine is to just swap in a unit like the Eaton Tru-Trac.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esracerx46 said:

I've got a 2012 Sierra 1500 with the gu4 G80. Pulled out kind of in front of traffic and the g80 engaged. Heard a clunk. Drove straight fine, next turn more banging. So fairly certain it exploded. Trying to figure out my options. I'm going to assume the ring and pinion are ok...for now. Have yet to take anything apart until I figure out which direction to go. Any options in the aftermarket? What years for a junkyard rear end? Or just stick with oem? Never particular cared for the g80. It was real clunky in the 04 I had

I had one that was problematic in my last truck(2006 Sierra 1500). I replaced it with a truetrac, which I bought from Summit. They're around $5-600 these days.
The Truetrac is a much better unit for normal use IMO. No clunking, reliable, etc.

If it's making noise, you likely have more damage than just the locker.  Unless you cracked the housing, plan on new diff, gears, bearings and seals.  The true Trac is what I'm planning as well.  My G80 is also toast, but I have no noises and it operates normally as an open diff.

Make sure it's not your transfer case.  i thought I blew up my G80 in my 08 as it was acting just like my 99 did when the G80 blew but turns out it was the transfer case causing the banging and such.  When they pulled the cover off the rear diff it was just fine. 

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

Make sure it's not your transfer case.  i thought I blew up my G80 in my 08 as it was acting just like my 99 did when the G80 blew but turns out it was the transfer case causing the banging and such.  When they pulled the cover off the rear diff it was just fine. 

I'll be pulling the cover off shortly. It only makes noise when it turns and when backing up and turning the rears were binding up and skidding. Like they were locked.

Besides the Tru Trac, any other aftermarkets I should look into??

Took the cover off and the ring and pinion look ok. Couple teeth missing on the locker. Is there a rebuild kit or just drop in a new differential? Is an open differential a possibility? It's mostly highway miles on that truck these days since I got the side by side for the new mexico mud.

Edited by Esracerx46
more info