Need help with installing Putco Bladr LED lights

So I bought the Putco Blade light bar to install on my 2020 LT TB.   The space in-between the bumper and tailgate is not as big as I thought it would be.  Any tips for installing it with the tailgate still on?   How hard is it to remove the tailgate?  And anyone have good directions for removal or a good video?  Thank you

Matt

I just installed mine today.  I only removed the right side of the tail gate.  Remove the cables Securing the tail gate and raise up the tail gate until the flats on the right hinge aligns with the cutouts on mount.  Lift up at about 45 degree angle and remove tailgate from the bracket.  I left the left side attached.  There is enough play in the wiring to allow the tailgate to be pulled away from the bed enough to give room to work.  I laid the tail gate on a couple totes to hold it flat without hanging down.  Look at the instructions and ensure that the two outside light bar clips are installed 1/4”- 5/16” above the raised lip on the back of the bed at each end.  If you don’t the lights will not be visible.  I then used a string tied to the outside clips to align the heights of the two center clips.  Then clipped in the light bar.  Make sure you have enough tie wraps to secure the wiring underneath.  Sorry I don’t have any picture currently.  If you really need them I can take some.  I apologize if my instructions are not understandable as I am multi-tasking.  

Was actually alot easier than I thought.  Just removed the tailgate to do it.   Ended up shortening the wiring harness that Putco gives you because it was about 2.5 ft too long when using the harness.  I ended up putting the blade slightly too high though.  Tailgate rubs a little on top of the light bar when tailgate is put down.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 8:30 PM, CWRKR said:

Look at the instructions and ensure that the two outside light bar clips are installed 1/4”- 5/16” above the raised lip on the back of the bed at each end.

So I purchased this light bar from GM accessories and had the dealer install it (was only charged $55 for install, so it was worth it to me).  After reviewing it a bit at home, it looks to me like it is installed a bit to high and thus possibly being blocked by the tailgate.  Hard to say though, as it could be the lighting or the angle.

My question is, I reviewed the instructions online and unless I was looking at an outdated file, it does not say how far above the lip to mount the brackets. I didn't find this post until now, so I will measure where my brackets are at in the am.  In the event my brackets are mounted too high, I would like to go to the dealer with proof that they are too high and can't just use this post to corroborate (no offense).

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, CWRKR said:

The 5/16” in stated in the wiring instructions.  I attached the page .

ED9D0ED5-6397-448B-9DE1-ED4E4017B94B.jpeg

Thanks for this.  I must have overlooked that, I did only skim the wiring portion.  I didn't take off my tailgate, but using tapered shims (as well as the eye test) it looks like my drivers side is about 1 inch above the ridge and the passenger side is about 7/8'' above the ridge, so ~3x higher than it should be (as well as not level).

But just so I am clear, there are only two ridges correct, one on each side?  I just want to make sure I am measuring from the correct starting point.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by vancealot29

Yes, two ridges. One on each side.  I didn’t remove the tailgate either.  I opened the tailgate and removed the right side.  I rested the open tailgate on a couple of plastic totes and swung it out to provide room to install.  For spacers I used plastic chopsticks since I couldn’t find anything else laying around that was 1/4” Don’t laugh, it worked.  

34 minutes ago, CWRKR said:

Yes, two ridges. One on each side.  I didn’t remove the tailgate either.  I opened the tailgate and removed the right side.  I rested the open tailgate on a couple of plastic totes and swung it out to provide room to install.  For spacers I used plastic chopsticks since I couldn’t find anything else laying around that was 1/4” Don’t laugh, it worked.  

No judgement from me, lol.  When I saw that GM accessories only wanted $55 to install it, I kind of thought that was a steal.  Turns out they had the truck in the bay for two hours yesterday, which at ~$100 per hour, I think I got a pretty good deal, minus the installed wrong part.  I have a follow up appt. with the dealer on Thursday, so they can deal with it (hopefully).  I will provide an update then.

On a side note, your location shows Clearwater.  Is that the FL Clearwater?  If so, I am in Land O Lakes.  Which dealer do you use, because so far I have not been overly impressed with either Jim Browne (purchased from) in Tampa or Wesley Chapel Chevy (using service).  I am always interested in hearing feedback from other people regarding dealers in the area.  If you're not in FL, ignore this entire paragraph.

Thanks again for your help!

29 minutes ago, CWRKR said:

I purchased and use Dick Norris in Clearwater.  They’ve always done an excellent job. I only have 9k miles so my experience is limited.  

Good to know.  The wife will be in the market for a Tahoe next year.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:17 AM, CWRKR said:

Update.  Went back to the dealer, and they fixed the level, but barely changed the height of the bar compared to the ridge.  As you can see from my amateur pics, the height of the bar is roughly 3/4'' inch above the ridge.  They claim that is as low as it should sit, and if it sat any lower, it would be blocked by the lip of the bumper.  They said if I wanted it 1/4'' above the ridge, they would do it for free, but if I was unsatisfied, that they would charge me to move it back to its current position.

Is there any way to get a pic of how close yours is to the ridge?  I know it will be hard to compare just based on pics, but a better way could be looking at the small circles stamped in the metal, and use those as a good baseline.  Would be interested to see how much of the small circle is covered on yours.  There is a chance I could be completely overthinking this.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks in advance!

Light Bar.jpg

Edited by vancealot29