Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Shift to park message after shut down.


Recommended Posts

So I started getting a shift to park message on my 2019 trail boss when I turn my truck off. Has anyone else experienced this? Usually I can start my truck then turn it back off and it'll be fine but now it's getting to the point I have to actually back my truck up and pull it back forward and then turn it off to get the message off and fully turn off my truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 High Country that does this regularly.  The dealer told me they don't have a fix for it yet.  It is irritating.  Usually it will stop displaying the message after 15-30 seconds.  I start the truck and move the gear shift through the gears if it takes longer.  The truck has less than 10k miles and 13 months old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My 2019 Sierra does this as well.  I figured I would search here and Google.  Google lead me to a class action suit for the Acadia, which has apparently had this issue since the 2017 model year.  It is annoying for sure, and I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks!!! https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/profile/255553-jeremiah-martin/ I have a few months looking to solve this problem yesterday it got real bad wouldn't stop at all from the shift to park message. So did what you mentioned removed the 3  7mm screws removed the bottom cover and jumped the micro switch with a small fuse, boom!!!! Fixed.  Looking for the replacement part but so far so good thanks again!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 10:06 AM, Namreg82 said:

Thanks!!! https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/profile/255553-jeremiah-martin/ I have a few months looking to solve this problem yesterday it got real bad wouldn't stop at all from the shift to park message. So did what you mentioned removed the 3  7mm screws removed the bottom cover and jumped the micro switch with a small fuse, boom!!!! Fixed.  Looking for the replacement part but so far so good thanks again!!!

Mine has started to act up more recently.  4 times yesterday alone.  Since I am under warranty, I am going to point it out to the dealer and see if they can replace the micro switch.  If they can, I will report back with a part number.  If they can't, then I will jump mine as well.  This shouldn't be happening at 24K miles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, SPASierra said:

Mine has started to act up more recently.  4 times yesterday alone.  Since I am under warranty, I am going to point it out to the dealer and see if they can replace the micro switch.  If they can, I will report back with a part number.  If they can't, then I will jump mine as well.  This shouldn't be happening at 24K miles.

I just bought a 2019 Silverado 20k miles and have the same issue. Happened twice today and there does not seem to be a standard process to getting the message to go away (start and stopped the car one time and had to actually drive and park again another). Any updates on the micro switch or exactly how to access it for someone that doesn't work on cars a lot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is one 7mm (9/32) bolt under the center of the column cover, take that out.  Reach under the dash where the cover goes through the lower panel, and pull the two apart to separate the top half from the bottom.  With the truck running, lift up the top half and turn the wheel right and you will see another bolt.  Remove it and repeat for the other side.  You can see the switch from the left side of the column as pictured above.

 

Reverse the process to put it all back together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

There is one 7mm (9/32) bolt under the center of the column cover, take that out.  Reach under the dash where the cover goes through the lower panel, and pull the two apart to separate the top half from the bottom.  With the truck running, lift up the top half and turn the wheel right and you will see another bolt.  Remove it and repeat for the other side.  You can see the switch from the left side of the column as pictured above.

 

Reverse the process to put it all back together.

Thanks Sean. I'm taking mine into the dealer on Friday to get it fixed and will see what happens. Let me know if you find the switch (where to purchase) and if it corrects the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Sean. I'm taking mine into the dealer on Friday to get it fixed and will see what happens. Let me know if you find the switch (where to purchase) and if it corrects the problem.

I found the steering column parts diagram, but it only appears that the shifting mechanism is sold as a single part. I went the jumper route this morning because it has gotten worse and I’m heading out of town for a week. Hasn’t happened a single time after I jumped the wires, which has been 5 trips around town today.

Before I jumped the wires, I had the switch loose and it did it as soon as I hit the stop button. Bridge the wires with the blade of my pocket knife and it immediately stopped.

Let us know if they do anything to fix it, or replace the switch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:50 PM, SPASierra said:


I found the steering column parts diagram, but it only appears that the shifting mechanism is sold as a single part. I went the jumper route this morning because it has gotten worse and I’m heading out of town for a week. Hasn’t happened a single time after I jumped the wires, which has been 5 trips around town today.

Before I jumped the wires, I had the switch loose and it did it as soon as I hit the stop button. Bridge the wires with the blade of my pocket knife and it immediately stopped.

Let us know if they do anything to fix it, or replace the switch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow up- I took it into the dealer and they confirmed (and GMC is aware) that there is an issue with the micro-switch (shift lever switch). They replaced the one in my Silverado and said that it has a two year warranty on the part. Part number is 84800776 Description: Control 4.004 N. I have not had the issue since they replaced the micro-switch. Hopefully this helps anyone else that comes across this issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.