Shift to park message after shut down.

I took my truck in to the dealership to get inspected (long story), and while I was there I went ahead and had them take a look at the shift to park issue. They called GM, it's a very rare issue, so there is no "official" fix. However, they replaced the shifter (covered under warranty so no cost to me), and I haven't had the issue since. Fingers crossed this sticks!

• 3 months later...

Any update from GM dealers on this issue? I'm taking my 2019 High Country in tomorrow for the third time. They second time they removed the transmission pan to see if a switch was loose. Nothing. I've shown them this thread, but GM won't give them the go ahead to replace the micro switch. They're waiting for the vehicle to give them a code. Meanwhile I've got 87,000 miles on it. Gonna bring this whole thread and the part number, everything. 

• 2 months later...

2019 Silverado finally got a simple fix for shift to park hasn't done it in a week if you can get to the switch that was pictured above just put some electrical tape on the switch to keep it engaged. I took mine to the dealer and it was gonna be a $900 fix so this is much better on the wallet.

Edited by Pip989

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with my '19 RST. I just dropped it off at the dealership this morning so hopefully I get it back in the next few days. So frustrating, I would jump the switch as other have suggested but shouldnt need to be doing these things on these new trucks IMO so I am letting them dick with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just thought I'd share my quick and easy fix if you are not wanting to run to the dealer or wanting to order a new part. A lot of yall might have one laying around. I pulled off the switch from where it was mounted and used a small zip tie around the micro switch to keep it closed. Have not had an issues since. Bought my 19 TB back in May and this has been an issue since. Hope this helps anyone else!

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have the same issue with my 2020 Silverado.

Update 01 /02/23:  I jumped the switch in the steering column.  Problem solved. 

Edited by MavsStuff
Update

On 3/20/2021 at 7:06 AM, Namreg82 said:

Thanks!!! https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/profile/255553-jeremiah-martin/ I have a few months looking to solve this problem yesterday it got real bad wouldn't stop at all from the shift to park message. So did what you mentioned removed the 3  7mm screws removed the bottom cover and jumped the micro switch with a small fuse, boom!!!! Fixed.  Looking for the replacement part but so far so good thanks again!!!

How do you jumped it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jeremiah Martin said:

Looked into it myself after finding this thread.  There is a micro switch under the column that is bad.  I jumped it and the truck shuts off normally. Trying to find the replacement part now. 

PXL_20210303_223740853.jpg

How did you “jump” this? I have the same problem, except my message won’t go away no matter how many times I shift like previously stated. I have to remove the negative terminals from my batteries to make it stop, but it starts right back after I start and shut off

On 1/16/2023 at 8:10 AM, Beauxp said:

How did you “jump” this? I have the same problem, except my message won’t go away no matter how many times I shift like previously stated. I have to remove the negative terminals from my batteries to make it stop, but it starts right back after I start and shut off

Stick a piece of wire under the two solder points.  Bend them toward the switch gently if it doesn't stay on its own.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:10 AM, Beauxp said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Beauxp.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Beauxp/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Bob2832 said:

Having the same problem with mine, really annoying and had it a dealer 2 times and they were unable to fix. 

Next time it happens, try this.  Look at the bottom of the steering column by the shifter. You will see an opening big enough to stick your finger.  Put your finger in there and you should hit the micro switch for the shifter.  Usually just touching it made the warning go away, and let the truck shut off.  It's a stupid fix, but short of buying the micro switch listed above, and putting in a new one yourself, it is an easy fix.