Cold start engine tick

2014 Silverado with 5.3.

engine ticks, on cold startup every morning. Almost sounds like a lifter. Has done it for months, just now getting around to asking. I usually remote start in the morning before I leave for work and by the time I’m ready to leave it has stopped (5-10 minutes on average). I have a pool route and am in and out of my truck 25-30 times a day, and it doesn’t do it any other time. I am religious with oil changes. Any suggestions? Am I screwed, if not now than eventually? See attached video.

Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, clr0508 said:

2014 Silverado with 5.3.

engine ticks, on cold startup every morning. Almost sounds like a lifter. Has done it for months, just now getting around to asking. I usually remote start in the morning before I leave for work and by the time I’m ready to leave it has stopped (5-10 minutes on average). I have a pool route and am in and out of my truck 25-30 times a day, and it doesn’t do it any other time. I am religious with oil changes. Any suggestions? Am I screwed, if not now than eventually? See attached video.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe carbon build up on the pistons? I would try some top engine cleaner or let someone do an induction system service to clean out the carbon.

Sometimes (especially on the 2000-2006 tucks when they got cold the carbon on top of the pistons would get hard and make a ticking noise like this for 3 or 4 minutes after sitting over night. Once the engine got hot the carbon would melt and no more noise. You could take some top end cleaner and while the engine was running remove the brake vacuum hose and add the cleaner though there. The truck would smoke really bad (great for keeping the mosquitoes away) and then the noise would be gone for a year or so and then we would have to do it again.

Unfortunately you have a vacuum pump on this and can't add it though the vacuum hose so you would need a tool to add it through the intake or remove the map sensor and add it though there very slowly.

or 

It could be a collapsed lifter as well that's taking time to build up. As long as it keeps building up it shouldn't be a problem. It will only be a problem when it doesn't lift any longer.

Thank you!

i had an induction service done about a year ago, so I guess I’m due for it again. I know these gdi engines are notorious for that carbon buildup.

Hoping it’s not a lifter, however in all the time it’s been doing this it has not gotten worse, so I guess that’s good news.

My neighbor also swears by Lucas oil stabilizer additive. I’m apprehensive using it but he absolutely swears by it (he has a Tahoe with the same engine and he also puts it in his Duramax) Everything I’ve researched says it only thickens oil viscosity, but he thinks it’ll take care of it.

1 hour ago, clr0508 said:

My neighbor also swears by Lucas oil stabilizer additive. I’m apprehensive using it but he absolutely swears by it (he has a Tahoe with the same engine and he also puts it in his Duramax) Everything I’ve researched says it only thickens oil viscosity, but he thinks it’ll take care of it.

At the 20% dosing rate it moves the 100 C viscosity about two SAE grades. It's also is really 'tacky" like chain bar oil. Sticks to anything :) .  It is a mineral oil. Much more viscous than ISO 600 gear oil. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear