Larger spare tire in stock location

I've only seen one post on this so im making one... 

I am going to put 35s on my truck friday. Imma be buying a 35x10.5 to go on my stock 17" spare tire rim. It wont be exact but it will do is not leave me stranded. I travel across country sometimes for work and need to not be caught on the side of the road and stuck cause I don't have a full size spare. Ive considered getting a rim and tire that exactly matches my rims but imma be looking at like $500 for that one tire vs $200 for a 35x10.5.  It makes sense to me. Cause then even if i had to run down highway i could and can get a tire ordered or call a local tire shop to get the tire asap. Cant go without a vehicle or afford being stranded 

So the question is... has anyone done this? When I looked under there before it looked like there was a big metal heatshield? Or something on the front side of the spare. Could this safely be removed? If not tire will just sit in bed which obviously sucks cause loose a lot of the bed

I've only seen one post on this so im making one... 

I am going to put 35s on my truck friday. Imma be buying a 35x10.5 to go on my stock 17" spare tire rim. It wont be exact but it will do is not leave me stranded. I travel across country sometimes for work and need to not be caught on the side of the road and stuck cause I don't have a full size spare. Ive considered getting a rim and tire that exactly matches my rims but imma be looking at like $500 for that one tire vs $200 for a 35x10.5.  It makes sense to me. Cause then even if i had to run down highway i could and can get a tire ordered or call a local tire shop to get the tire asap. Cant go without a vehicle or afford being stranded 

So the question is... has anyone done this? When I looked under there before it looked like there was a big metal heatshield? Or something on the front side of the spare. Could this safely be removed? If not tire will just sit in bed which obviously sucks cause loose a lot of the bed
I have done this on a few of my silverados. A 35 inch spare fit under my 16 silverado and my wife's 16 Tahoe . I have not tried it on the 19 but I would say it would probably fit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Chevy68man said:

I have done this on a few of my silverados. A 35 inch spare fit under my 16 silverado and my wife's 16 Tahoe . I have not tried it on the 19 but I would say it would probably fit.

Did you have to do any sort of modification?

2 minutes ago, Chevy68man said:

No modification at all. Fit up there nice and snug.

Awesome! Spare 35 will be here monday. Ill get it mounted and hopefully under there sometime next week

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2020 at 7:16 AM, Dersch said:

Awesome! Spare 35 will be here monday. Ill get it mounted and hopefully under there sometime next week

Were you able to fit this just fine? Any pics?

13 hours ago, Dersch said:

Yes fit up perfect on the spare and fit under there. Honestly you almost could get a 37 there

Great news I’m looking to do the same. I have my lift kit and 35’s ready to install soon but was worried about the lack of a spare also. Do you mind posting which tire brand you went with so I can’t get the same exact one thanks 

3 hours ago, NICK19LTZ said:

Great news I’m looking to do the same. I have my lift kit and 35’s ready to install soon but was worried about the lack of a spare also. Do you mind posting which tire brand you went with so I can’t get the same exact one thanks 

Screenshot_20200816-153440_eBay.jpg

23 hours ago, Dersch said:

Yes fit up perfect on the spare and fit under there. Honestly you almost could get a 37 there

Thanks for the update man! I'm gonna look at getting a 35 under there also. Probably buy 5 and change out the tires on my stocks as well for when i take it onto the rocks

• 1 year later...