Transmission Cooler Upgrade

After a long trip that included some very long steep grades in June pulling the new 14000# toy hauler with my 2017 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 gas and seeing the trans temp reaching 228, I decided to upgrade the trans cooler. I did a lot of research and found that the stock Silverado Allison trans cooler is larger than the stock Silverado 6.0 gas trans cooler but will fit in the same location and only take up the same space. How can that be? You say? The stock gas trans cooler has a large empty space built into the mount and the Allison fills that space with more cooler tubes. The only issue is that the Allison version uses much larger cooler line fittings than the gas version. I converted mine to - AN fittings and lines and it is working great so far, running about 25 degrees cooler. Pics show the old cooler compared to the new diesel version and the line fittings. faa7042b2ad33b126bb32a9b841158bb.jpg2300e2e7947494ce8bf733b92e9e4e57.jpg510b2670a332af176a7e5b7cbca1499b.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wait, doesn't the gas 6.0 have an Allison transmission?

I assume you're comparing gas to diesel trans coolers right? Because comparing Allison to gas doesn't make sense unless, and this is entirely possible, maybe I'm confused.

I might need to look over your shoulder for a parts list. I like this!

Sent from the demons in my head

Perfect, thanks guys.

Now for the parts list. I'll have to go investigate what it will take to make this happen on my 2017 6.0 2500HD Sierra Base.

Sent from the demons in my head

The diesel cooler is available online and on ebay for around $150 to $160. The diesel cooler fittings are 20mm setrab fittings and I could not find any thing that stepped it down to the smaller size other than going to - AN fittings. I found a 20mm male with a - 6 AN female and then a transmission line kit with the proper fittings for that. The online hose kit goes for about $160-$175 and includes the transmission fitting.

• Like 1

Excellent upgrade.  How do you like the 6.0 + 14,00 lbs 5er combo?  I have a 2500HD w/ 6.0 and I'm looking at 5ers in that range.  Maybe a little lighter @ 12k lbs.
It pulls the toy hauler fairly well, but my 6.0 has shortie headers, 3.5 to 4" magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake and a performance tune by Blackbear performance. On some of the really large hills it will drop into second gear and maintain 52 - 53 mph. The hills going into Payson and from Payson to the top of the rim are the worst. I have a Magnuson supercharger on the way that will add around 120 hp and torque. Mileage runs around 7 or 8 on flat ground running 65 - 67 mph.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:31 PM, elgavilan123 said:

It pulls the toy hauler fairly well, but my 6.0 has shortie headers, 3.5 to 4" magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake and a performance tune by Blackbear performance. On some of the really large hills it will drop into second gear and maintain 52 - 53 mph. The hills going into Payson and from Payson to the top of the rim are the worst. I have a Magnuson supercharger on the way that will add around 120 hp and torque. Mileage runs around 7 or 8 on flat ground running 65 - 67 mph.

Holy crap!  That 6.0 will be a beast with that Magnuson.  I think I would rather have an oil burner for that much money, but it would not be the same as your 6.0 with a Manguson.  Let us know how you like it.  I looked at the install .pdf and it looks fairly straight forward.

Nice factory option. But kinda pricey considering you could have gone with a much better aftermarket cooler for less $$.  On a side note? How do you find the difference with the Tune?? Any power gains and mileage when not towing? Thanks. Nice work though. Any link to the hose kit you found. 

Nice factory option. But kinda pricey considering you could have gone with a much better aftermarket cooler for less $$.  On a side note? How do you find the difference with the Tune?? Any power gains and mileage when not towing? Thanks. Nice work though. Any link to the hose kit you found. 

I made my own hose kit using a local agriculture /hot rod hydraulic shop here in Yuma, only cost me $70 for the fittings and 15' of reinforced heat rated AN - 6 hose. I also thought about using an aftermarket cooler but they are more expensive and don't fit the spot for mounting where they get the most air flow.

I like the tune from Black Bear, much more responsive, a little better gas mileage and more power. With most other aftermarket tuners you have to switch tunes to tow from the performance or mileage tune but the Blackbear tune is one tune for everything. I know that means there are a few compromises to accommodate that but I like the install it and forget it application.