Fuel system replacement could costs more than the truck

Why me Lord, why? Rather, why didn't I just trade it in and get a new one?

This is week two of my one week vacation, broke down in southern CA.

I am pretty sure they have changed everything but the fuel tank & the CP3.

Guess which one is next? 

Somebody please tell me that spending $7k on fuel system repairs makes more sense than spending $70K+ on a new AT4

2007 GMC 3500 WT 4wd 6.6L Duramax w/ 190k miles & 30psi oil pressure at idle,

Error p0087 code & 12" vacuum on the low pressure side 

goes into limp mode, "Engine Power Reduced" after 1/2 hr of towing 

Replaced to date: (in order)

-Fuel Filter (replaced annually, milage unknown but way too much)

-Oil & filter (added Lucas to bring up the pressure, didn't work so we changed the oil in case there was fuel mixing it somehow)

-Fuel pressure relief valve (first shop's hunch, I will never trust a hunch again)

-MAF (First shop actually lied, said they changed this. Is there another one besides the one on the intake by the air filter?)

This much was $2500 

-ALL Fuel lines (visually observable collapsing under load)

-Tank pickup (it is my understanding there is no "sock", idk, is there a sending unit? )

This I expect to be another $2500 (still haven't seen the bill for this)

Next is the CP3 which I expect to be at least $2500

Starting to think that won't fix it either.

We only paid $10k for the old rust bucket

I've asked several times about the "lift pump" that is always suggested in similar posts. They say that doesn't fix the problem. They say it is only a bandaid.

Are you switching shops?  What you've written really points to the shop not really knowing diesels, and is just throwing parts at it and hoping.  And perhaps really sticking it to you at the same time.  I would suggest a site like https://www.dieselplace.com There's more traffic there about fixing Duramax's there than here (at least IMHO).  They might be able to point you towards a shop that can do a better job of diagnosing what the problem is, at least...

Did replacing the  FPRV cost $2k?  Because the oil/filters/maf change should maybe cost $500.

When you fill up the truck, is there a "whooshing" sound when you remove the fuel cap?

Fuel lines are mostly metal, with only short rubber sections.  If the rubber part is collapsing, that indicates it's under vacuum,  They shouldn't be.  I know for GMT800 diesels, a lift pump is commonly recommended to help the fuel system, and that it's not a bandaid.

From what I've read, it's also common for the fuel pump/pickup in the tank does have a sock, and replacement units come with a gas sock on them (yes, even the diesel ones), which should be replaced with a diesel sock when installed (sold separately).