Replaced my TB with something... different

Because of the many issues I had with my truck, I had to let go of my beloved ‘19 TB. I purchased it with the intent to keep it 10+ years based on my previous experience with Chevy (even first model years like a rock solid 07 Avalanche that was still running strong when I sold it at 150k miles).

Needless to say I was very disappointed with the experience of having a 60k MSRP truck have leaky windows, check engine lights, breaking door knobs, defective paint and I can go on and on.. The worst of which may have been the complete incompetence and lack of care on behalf of the (multiple) dealerships I’ve worked with (little care in providing good service, sloppy repairs, lack of loaners, etc).

Now, I will definitely be back shopping for a truck again in a few years give the need to haul dirt bikes and other toys around. However for now, especially with other life events happening (adding a second set of twins to family!) I needed something with a bigger interior anyway. So thanks to COVID used car values I was able to kill two birds with one stone: get rid of my trouble prone TB and still not get completely washed.

We decided to replace it with a 3 row SUV, seriously considered a Suburban for a while but didn’t want to buy the new one, due to the risk of having issues again with a new model but more important having to deal with crappy Chevy dealerships again. And having owned performance German sedans in the past I wanted something more fun anyway, so long story short we settled on this. 

I dub it the “500 hp minivan” ? but for those unsure what they’re looking at it’s a BMW X7 M50i with a 523hp twin turbo V8. Basically a USA made, German engineered muscle SUV with endless luxury.

Needless to say its a blast to drive, fits our whole family 2 sets of twins  and can even tow up to 7500 lbs... it doesn’t compare in no way to the GM trucks but nevertheless we are super happy with it. And I will still be looking to add a truck as a 3rd car sometime in the next 3-4 years. Lots of awesome stuff coming out like the RAM TRX, potential Silverado ZRX and new V8 supercharged Raptor as well as Cybertruck and Rivian so overall really exciting times we live in!

Despite my love-hate relationship with the Silverado this forum and its members have always been a tremendous resource during the, unexpectedly short, ownership. The experience of owning the truck wouldn’t be the same without it! Hope to be back at some point (with something more reliable lol) but for now.. good bye and happy trucking all!

8EFBEBF6-0DD9-4493-BDEB-C872820B7F3A.jpeg

2D1223BA-570E-45E6-8A3A-D8D0DA9A61A7.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Nice, I’m sure it’s a lot of fun. Does seem a bit optimistic to trade a Chevy for a Bimmer and expect better reliability...but stranger things have happened I guess. ?

Lol, can’t disagree with that statement but at least I will be put in a nice loaner while it’s repaired/serviced. Needless to say an extended warranty will be in my future ?

• Like 2

That X7 looks sweet... Reading your post makes me think you like to stay on top of things. Don't go for BMW's extended maintenance oil changes, I never did and never had. We have a '13 X5 that has been solid, but had some initial problems like the horrendous oil pan 8 maintenance and enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andyh1 said:

That X7 looks sweet... Reading your post makes me think you like to stay on top of things. Don't go for BMW's extended maintenance oil changes, I never did and never had. We have a '13 X5 that has been solid, but had some initial problems like the horrendous oil pan 8 maintenance and enjoy it!

Thanks for confirming what I already thought regarding the extended maintenance. I’m not even 100% sure about the extended warranty, it will likely depend on the first few years of ownership If I end up getting one. I’ve never been a fan of them and never got them, bringing me financially “ahead” so far... Nevertheless it’s great to hear a 7-8 yr old X5 is holding up well! My only concern with getting the M50 over the more pedestrian 40i is the V8 that has traditionally been more trouble prone in BMWs. However given its in its 3rd/4th iteration and seemingly later/newer versions are much less prone so I keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks for confirming what I already thought regarding the extended maintenance. I’m not even 100% sure about the extended warranty, it will likely depend on the first few years of ownership If I end up getting one. I’ve never been a fan of them and never got them, bringing me financially “ahead” so far... Nevertheless it’s great to hear a 7-8 yr old X5 is holding up well! My only concern with getting the M50 over the more pedestrian 40i is the V8 that has traditionally been more trouble prone in BMWs. However given its in its 3rd/4th iteration and seemingly later/newer versions are much less prone so I keep my fingers crossed...
Some of BMW's V8's have been spectacular, but they do require a lot more TLC. A lot more so than our truck's V8. Like you, I don't need the extra TLC that they require I have enough cars to look after, lol.
Now the N55 engine is solid, that's the one is my wife's X5 but I stay on top of oil changes with good quality oil (liqui Molly + MoS2 Anti friction additive) that has been a superb recipe for me. I also have a BMW '06 Z4M which I treat it with the same oil combo and has been extremely reliable. No signs of rod bearing wear which that engine (S54) is known for. Drive them hard but also look after them more often. For reference, I never bought an extended warranty for any of my BMW's... I rely on forums, my personal passion for cars, a good indy mechanic, and good friend's that have lifts [emoji28][emoji28]
Enjoy your ride...

Came over to the 'dark' side last month after a long list of Kraut SUV's, sedans and sports cars none of which were completely trouble free but all in all no major issues. 

The GMC is my first non German vehicle since 2002 with the exception of brief ownership of a 2010 Wrangler.  So far, I'm as happy as a clam.  The ride and build quality and technology are comparable, and in some ways better,  to my most recent (2017) X5.  

I considered the X7 and I'd expect it to be reliable and perform as expected.  But I've always wanted a truck and the Sierra won out over Ford and Ram.  And, in spite of current inventory shortages, the Sierra 1500 discounts were at least $7k better than the German rides.

That said, these mechanical beasts are just that and subject to malfunctions now and then.  It's a real pain and in the case of the OP the issues were too many to bear.    

Taking our first road trip next week and in October will tow a rented 28' Airstream to Florida.  Anxious to see how the truck performs both with and without towing while road tripping.  First 750 miles I've averaged 15.8 mpg with the 6.2 which is about what I'd expect from short trips.  Would expect to achieve low 20's with no tow and low teens with the trailer.     

7 hours ago, Andyh1 said:

Some of BMW's V8's have been spectacular, but they do require a lot more TLC. A lot more so than our truck's V8. Like you, I don't need the extra TLC that they require I have enough cars to look after, lol.
Now the N55 engine is solid, that's the one is my wife's X5 but I stay on top of oil changes with good quality oil (liqui Molly + MoS2 Anti friction additive) that has been a superb recipe for me. I also have a BMW '06 Z4M which I treat it with the same oil combo and has been extremely reliable. No signs of rod bearing wear which that engine (S54) is known for. Drive them hard but also look after them more often. For reference, I never bought an extended warranty for any of my BMW's... I rely on forums, my personal passion for cars, a good indy mechanic, and good friend's that have lifts emoji28.pngemoji28.png
Enjoy your ride...

Ohhh the Z4M, that must be a blast to drive! That or an early Cayman are still on my wish list for a weekend car. Not easy finding a clean one for a reasonable price. The savagegeese YouTube channel did an amazing breakdown of the Z4M, you should def look it up if you haven’t seen it yet, although it will likely reaffirm everything you already know it’s an awesome homage to that car. And yeah, I’m planning to keep the X7 for at least 6-7 years but hopefully like 10, but then again I said the same about the Silverado when I bought it and here we are lol.

Ohhh the Z4M, that must be a blast to drive! That or an early Cayman are still on my wish list for a weekend car. Not easy finding a clean one for a reasonable price. The savagegeese YouTube channel did an amazing breakdown of the Z4M, you should def look it up if you haven’t seen it yet, although it will likely reaffirm everything you already know it’s an awesome homage to that car. And yeah, I’m planning to keep the X7 for at least 6-7 years but hopefully like 10, but then again I said the same about the Silverado when I bought it and here we are lol.
For sure early caymans are great weekend cars... I like Savageguesse and I also think he did a great fantastic job at reviewing that Z4M... By the way, a 987 cayman MY 2009 is the best value imho. Have fun with that X7...

• Like 1

Speaking from personal experience. BMW’s are awesome for two maybe three years then dump them and run. If there ever was an argument to lease vs. buy I would say BMW is it. That is a sweet machine I just would not want to own it one day past the warranty. 

• Like 2

You bought a BMW hoping for reliability? LOL. Plus once you are out of warranty any repair costs will drain your bank. Not sure you were rationally thinking on this one.
I did, in fact I've bought 4 BMW's because of reliability. Now, to be fair, newer BMW's have so many electronics which them quirky cars. The "drain your bank account" comment may have some validity if you take that 'BMW' for service into a dealership.

'04 BMW 330i ZHP... 100K trouble free miles, normal wear and tear and maintenance. Never saw the dealership.

1998 BMW M3... Solid car, I did a complete cooling system overhaul (weakest point on BMW' s of this era) for $400.00 (you can find these kits online)
Other than that, normal maintenance. I sold it with 80K miles.

2006 Z4M Roadster... Most 'reliable' engine and tranny combo. Will never sell this car.

2013 X5 (wife's car) , N55 engine. Solid and reliable other than the pain in the a$$ oil pan gasket which I did a year ago.. Set me back $1,100.00, the dealer wanted 5K for the job. Sitting at 50K strong miles.

My mom drives a 2003 BMW X5 with 145K miles... Strong M54 engine and tranny. Now this car is quirky, any air leaks on the intake side will set off the computers. Took me a bit to figure out the problem, part cost me $100.00 has been solid past this issue and my mom drives it daily.

You cannot skip any oil change intervals, cannot abuse those schedules like you can on a Toyota or Honda.
Lucky or not, they all have been good to me.
34ad3e6503e8692a47377ed1fc61dbfa.jpgb715cd49eb426fc6c60c66353ca467e4.jpg

• Like 1