OEM vs Replica Rims?

Anyone have good experiences with replica (alloy) rims?

Replicas seem to be much more available and substantially less expensive.

I had some once for BMW winter wheels and I couldn't tell the difference but that was a long time ago and  I suspect things get worse rather than better in time.

3 minutes ago, ClipperSkipper said:

I went back and forth with this for years, however after tire leaks and corrosion, I bought a set of brand new take offs from a 2020 Sierra for short money. My only regret is losing the Michelin ride!

IMG_20200509_105132627.jpg

IMG_20200817_183956703 (2).jpg

I've seen those but like the single spokes better, but any case they all seem to be coming up in short supply so the prices are getting pretty high. I prefer the Michelins too so I'm hunting for bare wheels and those are even harder to find than the wheel/tire combos. I caved on Michelins for coopers last time and regret it so this time is going to be what I should have done last time. The Coopers stink in snow compared to the Michelins LTXs. But the way things look I wonder if we'll even have snow again! Drought everywhere.

They are in short supply, as everyone is fixing their trucks. Following bed=off repairs last Summer, I ended up with a rear spring/shackle mount kit, so I put them up on Marketplace. I think that they were the last pair on the face of the Earth! Guy that showed up said that nobody had them, and paid me more than I did, after looking at a new 2020 Sierra SLT at $63000. So we keep the old stuff going.

17 minutes ago, ClipperSkipper said:

They are in short supply, as everyone is fixing their trucks. Following bed=off repairs last Summer, I ended up with a rear spring/shackle mount kit, so I put them up on Marketplace. I think that they were the last pair on the face of the Earth! Guy that showed up said that nobody had them, and paid me more than I did, after looking at a new 2020 Sierra SLT at $63000. So we keep the old stuff going.

How much did they cost you?

• 2 weeks later...

Put new  OEM GM gray  steel rims on my Silverado Z71.  With new center caps.  

Less worry about salt corrosion here with aluminum alloy rims. 

Been on for 7 years now and still look new.  Although the center caps have somewhat faded.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I paid $999.99 for 4 aftermarket "Denali" wheels 2 years ago, and after 18 months they looked like crap. I've cleaned and polished them all I'm going to, I'll put the old 17" factory wheels back on before I pay for after market OEM wheels again.

If someone wanted to, they do sell a sealer for rims that you put on before they ever see the road. At a previous job we had a mobile wheel guy that would come in for general repairs and would spray seal new rims before we mounted tires. Then you could ceramic coat them or add a different type of sealant every 8-12 months.