Can you add bed view camera??

icemanRC

I have a 2020 GMC Sierra SLT. One of the factory options is adding the bed view camera for $250. Since mine did not come with this, I wondered if it would be possible to add it? Being that it’s only a $250 factory option, I figured it can’t that difficult to do. Has anyone done this or have any knowledge of this?

Not sure how GM wires things nowadays.  I know in the past options like this were simply plugged in, ie adding an entirely different harness for a 250 dollar option was not fiscally viable.  It's likely that the wiring is there already and plugging it in "may" enable the feature in the H/U.

Only an edumacated guess though.

$250 from the factory to add. I believe they run around $1000 to add after the fact. The mirror alone is $500 plus. It has been done and there is a thread on here at one time.

I did it with my ram, don't need the mirror for bed view tho.

3rd brake with camera was $1000 and harness i got made aftermarket as the ram has video plugs in the HU. Then I bought a software pkg from rax jailbreak and also gained the option to type while driving and a few other Easter eggs [emoji1639]

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, icemanRC said:

Why would I need a different mirror? I’d want to view the bed view camera on the display

You are correct The bed view cam and the rear view mirror cam are both located in the tail light on the back of the cab. I was confused as most people are talking about adding the rearview mirror cam that will display in the reirview mirror on the windshield. You can switch it back and forth. You are correct that the bed view will show on the center display and doesn't need the special mirror. Here is the one on tha Caddy but, it works the same in the trucks.  

Edited by 2016 Sierra Owner
added link

You would need the High Mount Lamp /w Cargo Camera, the harness for the lamp, and the coax that runs from the lamp up to the dash. I believe you would then need a GM tech to mess around with your truck to enable the option for you to use the camera through your infotainment system.. 

No idea if anyone has successfully completed this addition, but there happens to be a high mount lamp and harness on ebay right now if you want to give it a go ? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GM-High-Mount-Lamp-w-Cargo-Camera-and-Harness-84699124/224154116361

4 hours ago, WanderingSpleen said:

You would need the High Mount Lamp /w Cargo Camera, the harness for the lamp, and the coax that runs from the lamp up to the dash. I believe you would then need a GM tech to mess around with your truck to enable the option for you to use the camera through your infotainment system.. 

No idea if anyone has successfully completed this addition, but there happens to be a high mount lamp and harness on ebay right now if you want to give it a go ? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GM-High-Mount-Lamp-w-Cargo-Camera-and-Harness-84699124/224154116361

"I believe you would then need a GM tech to mess around with your truck to enable the option for you to use the camera through your infotainment system."

This will be the road block. GM won't let the dealer program much of anything into the truck that was not there to begin with. Yes I know they will do fog lights.

I would have thought it would be a simple plug and play. I haven’t removed the lamp assembly and looked, but I figured that there’s already a wiring harness there. I couldn’t see it being anything difficult since it’s only a $250 factory option. Cheap options usually mean fast and easy. If it was $1,000 option, I’d believe there was much more to it than just a simple harness plug in. 
I guess I will call GMC and see what info I can find out.