A Miss

horsegirl2145

Question

Hi all. 
I am new to this forum but not new to this truck. I recently changed the fuel filter with an oil change. Hours after I drove away I got a miss. I checked all spark plugs which seem to be good so I changed the wires cap and rotor and replace the plugs just in case. I still have the miss. As my mechanical skills are limited can anyone offer or guide me into the direction of white may be causing this. Note this is definitely a miss in the engine. TIA

1 answer to this question

Only thing I can think of that would cause that issue after a filter change would be if the filter was installed backwards and somehow restricted fuel flow in that orientation. Or, there is a defect in the new filter.

Another possibility is that a critical ground wire somehow got damaged or broke during the oil filter install (or removal - especially if you had to fight to get it off).

Misfires otherwise can be caused by plugs (worn, fouled, improper gap, damaged, etc.), wires, cap, rotor, coil, ignition module, intake gaskets, low or leaking compression, and fuel delivery issues (bad fuel pump, regulator leak, clogged injector, etc.). May have just been a coincidence that it occurred not long after the oil & fuel filter change. The trick is figuring out whether you've got a spark or fuel issue, or compression (broken valve springs [far more likely on the LS engines], damaged or worn rings, etc.).

That TBI system was very reliable, and didn't have the problems the newer '07 - up trucks (and the new direct injected ones) have. Same with that engine. 350s will run hundreds of thousands of miles with good maintenance, so that eliminates alot of the recent issues with the newer stuff.