2021 Suburban Z71 - Camera Working Intermittently

We recently picked up a 2021 Suburban z71, a couple of days after taking possession we started to have an issue with the camera system.  The camera basically stops working...we are unable to launch the camera "app" and if we shift into reverse we are met the attached image.  The issue appeared to resolve itself after the vehicle was off for ~30 min or.  Unfortunately that was short lived because a few trips later and the issue resurfaced.  We reached out to the dealer and are currently waiting for them to secure an adequate loaner so they can take the vehicle in.

In most vehicles I wouldn't be bothered so much by the camera, however this Suburban is large and doesn't have the greatest visibility - almost seems like they designed it with a multi-camera system in mind.

What makes me more nervous is I can find other newer GM/Chevy's with similar tales online all with a long arduous road to resolution (or not in some cases.). Anyone here experience this or have any advice to dealing with the dealer on a intermittent issue such as this?

Thanks!

IMG_4110.jpeg

I would advise that you take it to the dealer and make them hook up to it while it is not working. If it's not working when you take it in later, they may tell you to bring it back when it's not working. Whether they have the loaner or not, at least if they can connect with the vehicle, they can grab any data logs needed 

13 minutes ago, toasty said:

I would advise that you take it to the dealer and make them hook up to it while it is not working. If it's not working when you take it in later, they may tell you to bring it back when it's not working. Whether they have the loaner or not, at least if they can connect with the vehicle, they can grab any data logs needed 

Good advice, although it’s going to be difficult to coordinate that unless I take the truck out and try and reproduce knowing I can get it to a dealer.  We are still waiting to hear back from dealer. 

So we were finally able to get the Suburban into the dealer to have them diagnose the issue.  While the issue hasn't occurred in the past week the dealer claimed that an error was logged indicating a failure of the left camera.  They are ordering a replacement...if that doesnt resolve the issue the video programming module is next on the list.  Seems a bit like grasping if you ask me.

Fortunately they were able to resolve the recent brake control module reflash recall notice while there, so not a total waste of time.

Edited by usulsuspct

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue--just want to get a sense about how prevalent this is. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali and the rear camera works intermittently (about 30 per cent of the time). Dealer had it all day yesterday but couldn't recreate the problem (of course...). When put in reverse we get the same error screen as above. No rhyme or reason as to why. Will stay like that for a few days then works all the sudden and the cycle continues.... Dealer said there were no error codes and basically they can't do anything. After pressuring them, the tech did finally discover that "PIE0592 GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the above condition. Engineering has a need to gather information vehicle PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix". As a result, I am SOL until they can figure this out... 

https://ibb.co/MMnsrnF

https://ibb.co/zmMJs7X

Edited by tomtomtom123

So our left camera was replaced the documented "code" pulled from the camera was B1A69-49.  Unfortunately the issue returned the next day.  The dealer indicates that the next part on the repair "flow chart" is the video control module.  We are waiting for that part to arrive.

23 hours ago, usulsuspct said:

So our left camera was replaced the documented "code" pulled from the camera was B1A69-49.  Unfortunately the issue returned the next day.  The dealer indicates that the next part on the repair "flow chart" is the video control module.  We are waiting for that part to arrive.

GM is looking into camera issues on the T1 SUVs.  Make sure your dealer pulls this up in GM SI if they haven't yet.  There is also info on the engineer the tech/dealer is supposed to call after their test findings from following the PI. 

#PIE0592A: Engineering Information - One or More Camera Views Showing, Intermittent Behavior and/or Totally Inoperative - (Nov 5, 2020)
Subject:  Engineering Information - One or More Camera Views Showing, Intermittent Behavior and/or Totally Inoperative

999999995.gif
Attention:  Proceed with this EI ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the PIE number is listed in the Global Warranty Management / Investigate History link (GWM/IVH). If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GWM/IVH, disregard the PIE and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL — refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053 for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

This PIE has been revised to remove Cadillac Escalade Models. Please discard PIE0592.

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Chevrolet

Suburban

-

-

-

-

Tahoe

GMC

Yukon Models

Involved Region or Country

North America

Condition

Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this EI.

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions from the camera.

• One or more camera views showing
  • Intermittent behavior
  • Totally inoperative

Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the above condition. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

Correction

If you encounter a vehicle with the above concern, perform the following steps and contact the engineer listed below with your findings.

1. Note the viewing system that is related to the DTC that is set, along with the symptom byte and which module it is coming from (radio or video processing module).
  2. Wiggle the coax connection at the video processing module and at the suspect camera while looking for change in the camera image.
  3. Test and note resistance values of the connectors at the video processing module and the cable to the camera.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GER said:

2020 Sierra AT4- EXACT same issue. Happened while dealer was sitting in the truck when I took delivery. Happens periodically with no rhyme or reason.

I am hoping your info helps me

Your 2020 Sierra and the 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalade are on two totally different electrical architectures.  The trucks are still GM Global A, the 2021 SUVs are GM VIP (formerly known as Global B).  There are lots of differences in the way the networking operates between the two.  What might apply to the T1 SUVs might not apply to the Silverado/Sierra.  Engine and transmission problems?  Sure those would be similar.  

• 2 weeks later...

I shared this PIE with my dealer and the acknowledged that they had reviewed it.  We took the vehicle in to gather the diagnostic info requested by GM engineering in the post.  We are currently just "waiting" for a fix...I expressed my concerns that not having access to the backup camera seemed a bit of a safety issue.  The service manager indicated they would share that with their GM "rep".

So while we wait for a fix we just try not to get into a situation where the backup cameras are required.  The only upside is my wife is getting more comfortable navigating the vehicle without them?!  Frustrating nonetheless.A

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali and after a few days had this same issue. I had paired my cell phone so thought it was causing this to happen. Unpaired and disabled Android play. Thought I fixed it but then got it again while picking up groceries at Walmart which made it difficult to back out. Went home and thought a bit about what was different from the previous times I started the vehicle. Like your laptop or home computer you have to wait for it to boot up and complete the startup sequence. I now wait for the GMC image to complete and hear the running boards close before I push the start button. Haven't had a single camera failure since doing this. Might try to see if this works for you.

On 12/16/2020 at 3:28 AM, Twinky54 said:

I bought a 2021 Yukon XL Denali and after a few days had this same issue. I had paired my cell phone so thought it was causing this to happen. Unpaired and disabled Android play. Thought I fixed it but then got it again while picking up groceries at Walmart which made it difficult to back out. Went home and thought a bit about what was different from the previous times I started the vehicle. Like your laptop or home computer you have to wait for it to boot up and complete the startup sequence. I now wait for the GMC image to complete and hear the running boards close before I push the start button. Haven't had a single camera failure since doing this. Might try to see if this works for you.

Thanks for the idea - we will give it a try.  I just pinged our service manager, "no update".

• 1 month later...

Most recent update from my GM dealer. Truck was in today to address this issue again. I have also spoken to GM Canada who discussed with the Service Manager at the dealer. Bottom line was, GM apparently knows what the issue is (this was a bit cryptic and they wouldn't tell me what the root cause of the issue is) and that the fix is 2-3 months away. Was told to check back at my next oil change. That's about it.... otherwise, just "deal with it" was the sentiment.