2021 Suburban Z71 - Camera Working Intermittently

On 2/7/2021 at 6:31 PM, Gunner08 said:

4th time is the charm.  Just got my Tahoe back with the camera problem fixed.  Ended up being the head unit needing replaced.  Been working great since back.

Problem still fixed?  I havent heard anything from my dealer nor found anything online indicating the TSB/eng advisory has a fix.

So far the only thing that seems to limit how often we have th problem is waiting for the Chevy boot up logo to disappear after entering vehicle, but before starting.

Been driving it everywhere, no camera problems.  Mine would usually go out after about 15 minutes once the Tahoe was started, either black screen or would freeze on a random scene.   Would take about 15 minutes with the vehicle off to reset.  Chevy tried a software download, next was a video controller, and lastly was the entire head unit.  That is what fixed it.

• Like 1

I just got a 2021 suburban last week, and today this problem started. What was interesting is that I was pairing my phone right before I hit reverse, , so really made me wonder if that was part of the problem But unpairing, turning off phone, waiting 1 hour, etc, still same error screen when the reverse is hit.

What has me concerned is the fact that you are still waiting without this functionality, seemingly for months. To me this is a safely issue (what would your insurer think f they knew your backup camera wasn't working?). Your car (and mine) is not functioning as intended, and your Chevy service  left the vehicle with you. As you may or may not know, when a car is in for repair for 30+ days, it qualifies as a lemon, and the dealer is required to replace or buy the vehicle back; at your full cost (minus your usage (at time of first repair visit)).  Alternatively you are entitled to some $$ compensation which can be substantial (if you waive the right to lemon law). The compensation and or buyback includes and rental car expenses, etc. But since you have the vehicle, well, it is perhaps not "in for repair". You may want to contact a lemon law attorney for a quick consultation,.

What  I am wondering is can the dealer/service require you to take the non-fully functioning vehicle back when they cannot even repair it and are "waiting to hear from GM"?? I would want an equivalent loaner or rental, and they have it  until they fix it, even though I would prefer to have my own car. If the car is unsafe and most importantly not working as intended, they should fix it, period. 

This has me seriously concerned. This vehicle is 8 days old!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 7:23 AM, usulsuspct said:

Problem still fixed?  I havent heard anything from my dealer nor found anything online indicating the TSB/eng advisory has a fix.

So far the only thing that seems to limit how often we have th problem is waiting for the Chevy boot up logo to disappear after entering vehicle, but before starting.

Any update? I just got my new Suburban a few weeks back, and a week later, this issue started. Took it to the dealer, found a loose connector which solved the problem - for a day or two. It is back at the dealer, disassembled, and they are dealing with GM engineering on it. For mine, the whole camera system is completely non-functional, all the time.

I really find it unacceptable that a 70k vehicle has such a flaw out the door, and the fact that they are struggling to find a fix is unbelievable. As far as your situation goes, the fact that they just gave the vehicle back to you and said, sorry no fix is available right now is a bit surprising and concerning. This is an important functional/safety feature of the vehicle - what would your insurance say if they knew it wasn't working? Also, when a car is in for repair for 30+ days, or in for the same issue 4x, it could qualify as lemon, and that gives you a lot of rights as a consumer; however, you have the vehicle so it probably wouldn't count, even though it is not functioning as intended. . To me it sounds like your dealer just doesn't want to deal with it. I would consider taking it to a different dealer. My dealer doesn't want to give me the vehicle back with out a permanent fix...

11 minutes ago, drmoose 00 said:

Any update? I just got my new Suburban a few weeks back, and a week later, this issue started. Took it to the dealer, found a loose connector which solved the problem - for a day or two. It is back at the dealer, disassembled, and they are dealing with GM engineering on it. For mine, the whole camera system is completely non-functional, all the time.

I really find it unacceptable that a 70k vehicle has such a flaw out the door, and the fact that they are struggling to find a fix is unbelievable. As far as your situation goes, the fact that they just gave the vehicle back to you and said, sorry no fix is available right now is a bit surprising and concerning. This is an important functional/safety feature of the vehicle - what would your insurance say if they knew it wasn't working? Also, when a car is in for repair for 30+ days, or in for the same issue 4x, it could qualify as lemon, and that gives you a lot of rights as a consumer; however, you have the vehicle so it probably wouldn't count, even though it is not functioning as intended. . To me it sounds like your dealer just doesn't want to deal with it. I would consider taking it to a different dealer. My dealer doesn't want to give me the vehicle back with out a permanent fix...

No update on my end...I totally agree with you.  I mentioned the safety concerns that you did as well, my dealer reached out to GM - their response was since the backup collision detection still works the camera doesnt represent a safety issue.  The dealer was prepared to start ripping the truck apart to replace things, I did not want that.  I feel it would be better to wait for a real fix and look at it once (nothing ever goes back together the same way.)

Waiting for the boot animation before starting the truck seems to have limited our experience with this.  Side effect we are both pretty good at navigating the vehicle without the camera. 

yeah I get that not wanting to have the car as a troubleshooter, but I still think it IS a safety issue  - for me I don't think the pedestrian alert is working properly - I tested it - and for certain this car is big and the cameras help prevent damage. Like i said I am sure our insurance would not be thrilled to find out that system was down. 

Not sure how I am going to approach it, but we've had the car 28 days on Friday, and 7 of them in the shop, so I probably will be contacting GM consumer affairs at some point next week. I am pretty freaking annoyed that's for certain. 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:23 AM, usulsuspct said:

No update on my end...I totally agree with you.  I mentioned the safety concerns that you did as well, my dealer reached out to GM - their response was since the backup collision detection still works the camera doesnt represent a safety issue.  The dealer was prepared to start ripping the truck apart to replace things, I did not want that.  I feel it would be better to wait for a real fix and look at it once (nothing ever goes back together the same way.)

Waiting for the boot animation before starting the truck seems to have limited our experience with this.  Side effect we are both pretty good at navigating the vehicle without the camera. 

Just an FYI, I finally got it back. Appears to be "working as intended", though for sure time will tell. They as you suspected did take quite a bit of things apart - that was unsettling to see (i needed something out of the car). They needed to replace a camera (not sure which one - think the rear - that was why 1/2 the inside was taken apart). After that, the video worked "intermittently". They traced it to the serial data gateway module (#2.560 - you can buy on Amazon!  https://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-25928052-MODULE-2-560/dp/B00N48MT5E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8), which they replaced. After that it appeared to work consistently. 9 days in for service, owned it for 32 days...

For you situation it is a tough call. Not sure service would replace the module based on word off a GM forum - I suspect this isn't simply one issue but possibly multiple and they would have to get it in there to determine the root cause (but they might after communicating with GM, based specifically on your symptoms). As far as wating for GM to issue an official solution, that could be quite some time. There are several hundred TSBs for this line of vehicles already, so it seems they have their hands full. Additionally they are probably reluctant to issue a blanket fix in this situation since it could be  a few (or a number) of different thigs. At best I suspect they would revise the TSB to make it a bit more specific and directed to diagnose the fix. Good luck!

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Tahoe/2021/tsbs/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Suburban/2021/tsbs/

• 3 weeks later...

Took the truck in for an oil change / recall repairs, again brought up the camera issue.  Dealer kept the vehicle for the day but was "unable to reproduce".  Service manager claiming that without reproducing the issue and dumping any codes there is nothing that can be done.  This is becoming a very frustrating situation, I would have at least expected some sort of "case" be open with GM so that if a fix or some other troubleshooting measure were to come up that I could be contacted.  Instead I am forced to troll message boards / refresh open TSBs waiting for a fix.

• 3 months later...

I have a gmc yukon 2021 with less than 6k miles and this camera issue pops up every once in a while. Is there a fix for it? I haven't taken it to the dealer. It always seems to work after I shut it off and come back later. 

On 7/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Saad said:

I have a gmc yukon 2021 with less than 6k miles and this camera issue pops up every once in a while. Is there a fix for it? I haven't taken it to the dealer. It always seems to work after I shut it off and come back later. 

Nope, no fix here yet.  We actually dropped the car off this week and took a loaner while they continue to troubleshoot/guess what’s wrong.  I am not optimistic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, usulsuspct said:

Nope, no fix here yet.  We actually dropped the car off this week and took a loaner while they continue to troubleshoot/guess what’s wrong.  I am not optimistic. 

Truck spent another week in the shop and they replaced one of the mirrors (again).  We had the vehicle back for one day before the issue came back.  Dealership no longer has an available loaner vehicle, so who knows.

We are quickly coming up on having the car for a year, this has sort of become a running joke.

• 1 month later...

So the truck spent another week in the shop and they replaced the "video control module" or something to that effect.  It has been a few weeks since we got the truck back and this is the longest we have gone by far w/out having an issue with the cameras.

I am cautiously optimistic that this did the trick.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, usulsuspct said:

So the truck spent another week in the shop and they replaced the "video control module" or something to that effect.  It has been a few weeks since we got the truck back and this is the longest we have gone by far w/out having an issue with the cameras.

I am cautiously optimistic that this did the trick.

Middle of November and we have not had a reoccurrence of this issue yet.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2022 Yukon Denali with 300km, with the same problem.  The back up camera is intermittent, and today got the warning person behind triangle while backing into my garage with no moving objects or people behind.  The camera button to the left of the steering wheel only brings the camera on screen some of the time, and the button on the screen for the camera does nothing when the camera is not coming on.  I haven’t taken it yet.