2021 Silverado 1500 Custom V6 thoughts

LordOdin

Hey all....New user to the group here!  I am looking for any thoughts or comments on the V6 Silverado 1500 Custom.  I am in the market and have test driven a 2021 Custom.  The truck handled well and I like it, BUT I just wanted to get a feel from other Custom V6 owners.  I have historically been a Ram 1500 Hemi user but I had some issues with the past couple trucks and wanted to get into something a little different.  I don't haul anything big if at all.  Mostly need the truck for the bed and potential for pulling a small boat later on.  Any thoughts and comments are welcome!  Thanks

9 hours ago, jaimeastin said:

I believe the 5.3 is getting better mpg than the v6.

https://www.motor1.com/news/295557/2019-chevrolet-silverado-mpg/

The 4.3 gets the same mileage as the 5.3 in the T1's

The 4.3 gets better mileage than the 5.3 in the K2's

K2's get better mileage than the T1's 

Yes the T1 has 7% lower drag and is several hundred pounds lighter

This is not enough to offset the HUGE increase in frontal area.

Penny wise, pound foolish

I love my 2015 4.3

:driving:

Get the 5.3 also try to get into an LT IMO the custom is missing a lot of features. If it came down to it I’d rather have an lt v6 than a custom v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

Get the 5.3 also try to get into an LT IMO the custom is missing a lot of features. If it came down to it I’d rather have an lt v6 than a custom v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great points on all...issue comes down t cost.  I am fine with fewer bells and whistles for the moment.  The truck will for sure hold it's value more so than the Chevy Malibu that I'm in now...Which is humorous watching my huge frame getting in and out of.  I would like an LT but not in the price range.  I liked the Custom Crew V6 for what it is.  I don't have to drive distance anymore so the little less gas mileage is acceptable.  I would like to see an 8 speed tranny rather than the 6 BUT I think it'll do what I need it to.  Thanks for the conversation! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOdin said:

I am fine with fewer bells and whistles for the moment.

Be sure you know what you're getting into.  This forum is filled with folks who brag about the great deal they got on a Custom, then complain about missing features (flip-up console storage comes to mind, but I think that's been rectified...)

There's nothing wrong with the V6 if you're not towing/hauling anything big, and having the 6 speed is often a blessing.

Edited by Salsa De Piña
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/295557/2019-chevrolet-silverado-mpg/

The 4.3 gets the same mileage as the 5.3 in the T1's

The 4.3 gets better mileage than the 5.3 in the K2's

K2's get better mileage than the T1's 

Yes the T1 has 7% lower drag and is several hundred pounds lighter

This is not enough to offset the HUGE increase in frontal area.

Penny wise, pound foolish

I love my 2015 4.3

:driving:

Hi Grumpy, I know you love your v6 and that's great.  I am not one to say one is the best as I believe in buying what actually fits the buyer... Like the OP says he is looking for a custom.. 

Anywho, I remember seeing in a different form that you do not use the AFM disabler?!  Even more I'm more interested in their overall happiness with your silverado.  

Sorry kind of threat jack, but you're opinion might help the OP even further.  I have a five three 2018 and I just hit 40K miles. So far so good, 6 speed auto.  

39 minutes ago, jaimeastin said:

Hi Grumpy, I know you love your v6 and that's great.  I am not one to say one is the best as I believe in buying what actually fits the buyer... Like the OP says he is looking for a custom.. 

Anywho, I remember seeing in a different form that you do not use the AFM disabler?!  Even more I'm more interested in their overall happiness with your silverado.  

Sorry kind of threat jack, but you're opinion might help the OP even further.  I have a five three 2018 and I just hit 40K miles. So far so good, 6 speed auto.  

I was commenting on the fuel economy and the reason it is down on the T1's. Not saying one is better or worse. 

Correct. I do not use a disabler. Like it just the way it is. 

12 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

I had the old Votec v-6 in my '83 short bed, 4 speed. Never had to little power, but often didn't have enough power, got crappy gas milage. I didn't like having a v-6 in my truck, just me.

I know you know this but the Vortec 4.3 and Ecotec 4.3 are different like Briggs & Stratton is to a Merlin Rolls Royce ? 

The said the Vortec 4.3 is one of the most durable motors GM ever made. Right there with the 3800 Series III. 

• Like 1