Low Oil in Diesel Engine 6.6L

Okay feeling really stupid right now, but I'm all sure we have made some kind a mistake that we should have know better. My tail is between my legs!

Recently changed my oil on 2016 Chevy 2500 3/4 ton. This was my second oil change since owning the truck (bought used) 5000 miles ago, now at 52,700 miles.

I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and is wasn't driven for week.

I drove approximately 100 miles and the low oil was prompted by the computer on the truck. I immediately pull off the road and check to see if the drain plug or oil filter was loose and leaking oil. No visible oil leak. I popped the hood and found there was no oil on the dip stick.

I just had just left Costco, which was in eye sight. I when back in and bought another case (6 quarts) of 5-30W. The truck took 2 1/2 quarts  of oil. I could swear that I checked the oil stick when I had originally changed oil and thought it had enough oil. I can't remember placing 10qt of oil when changing it.

Note: I have own trucks for 38 years and have always changed my own oil in the trucks. This is the first diesel truck I own and will not forget 10 Quarts the next time.

Questions:

Did I do any damage to the engine?

Why did the computer take so long to notice that it was low on oil?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Please do not shame to bad, feel like crap already.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Scott

It'll be fine. You'd need to have less oil than that to start starving the oil pump of oil and damaging parts. Figure if anything there is probably 3 quarts of oil in that size engine going through the pump, oil passages, lifters, pushrods, valvetrain and running back into the pan at all times.

There must have been just enough oil in the pan that so that is was staying exactly at the low level sensor and must have just dropped below it enough times to trigger the sensor. Perhaps once the oil was nice and hot the level could drop quicker as the oil thins out.

You didn't hurt it at all. The add oil mark on the dipstick is 2 quarts low. The only way you could have hurt it is if you ran it at very high RPMS cold. Then the oil pump could move it faster than it could flow back. Even then it may not have been a problem. Don't waste time worrying about it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 12/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, AK_ Maverick-X3 said:

I live in Alaska with colder temperature.

5w30 is not approved weight for the 6.6 Duramax.  0w40, 5w40 and 15w40.  GM shows 5w40 for cold weather but you can probably go down to 0w40.  

Should the current oil in truck be changed out, or change out at the next oil change?
Oil for gas engines is different than oil for diesel engines. If it is gas engine oil then i would get it out of there. Plus the reason the high number is 40 is even in cold weather the turbo gets hot. So I would just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk