2021 power retractable steps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 7:13 PM, Soapmaker said:

I see the 2021's are available with power retractable steps.

Does anyone have any info on how these steps mount and tie into the electrical system on a 2020? Opinions on whether to buy the gm steps or an aftermarket step such as the amps?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So along the lines of the original question about how the steps tie into the electrical system I had the same question but more to integrate some lighting features potentially using the wiring from these new power boards.  I have a 2021 SLT without the power boards but interested in the GM part number for the boards (or parts breakdown) so I could look at just ordering the harness.  If I recall the Amp Research board's wiring goes into the cab and interfaces with the OBD.  So with the boards being OEM now, I'm interested in trying to leverage the OEM jumper/interface harness for my custom application.  Anyone have that information?  Thanks.

I inquired about this because I just put a deposit on a truck (still in transit) without the power steps. I was told that they cannot be installed by the dealer because the wiring harness required to tie it into the OBD is not used if you don't have the power steps from the factory.

Not sure how valid this is... Also not sure why you can't just install them without the center stack switch for the carwash...

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, MMDenali13 said:

Had AMP steps on my 2015 Denali 1500 and no problems with them for 5 years. One of the first things I immediately did on the 2500 was ripping off the park benches and going AMP again. 

D9A5BFF3-B5DC-4557-AA9F-9BE8472E9CA4.jpeg

How was the wiring when you switch from the oem to the AMPs? the Amp definitely looks so much better, so was looking into switching out as well. 

I haven't read this entire thread.  It probably would've scared me off if I did.  

Anyway...  I just got a 2021 3500HD DRW less than a month ago. Put some amp steps on it. The simply plug in to the OBD port. Pretty simple install. Lights come on when doors are open. We finally have more than a few hours of daylight now since summer has arrived so haven't even noticed the lights at night yet.  So Amy Dealer that says they can't be installed can lose out on that money when you install them yourself or go elsewhere. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:07 PM, THE YETI said:

I haven't read this entire thread.  It probably would've scared me off if I did.  

Anyway...  I just got a 2021 3500HD DRW less than a month ago. Put some amp steps on it. The simply plug in to the OBD port. Pretty simple install. Lights come on when doors are open. We finally have more than a few hours of daylight now since summer has arrived so haven't even noticed the lights at night yet.  So Amy Dealer that says they can't be installed can lose out on that money when you install them yourself or go elsewhere. 

I don't have experience with AMPs yet but I was referring to the factory power boards. They can't be installed aftermarket (from what I'm told) because there's a switch on the dash to deploy them and they tie into the ECU from the factory. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm well IF that actually is true.  Then I guess GM wants people to purchase aftermarket instead from the dealer or elsewhere if there truck didn't come with them.  I mean i guess thats possible given the fact the general truth nowadays is that if something makes sense it doesn't 

happen and Vise Versa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...