Window Lift Channel Removal

Re: 1997 K2500

Does anyone have a technique or some advice for separating the window lift channel from the window glass? The old channel is rusted to the point that it's binding and causing problems, but it looks like it's basically glued to the bottom inch or so of the window glass. I'm leery of tapping on it and breaking the glass, and thinking maybe I can slip a razor blade between the glass and the channel to cut the adhesive. The glass and channel are sold separately, so it seems the channel is removable.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...

I finally got around to doing the job yesterday. Here’s what I found out, in case it helps someone.

The part is “window channel,” Dorman 924-249. It’s roughly 15” long, and has a U-shaped channel on one side (for the window glass) and a C-shaped channel on the other (for the regulator rollers). It’s the same part for the driver and passenger sides. The old part is glued to the window glass with a pretty tough adhesive/sealant.

I used a utility knife to remove as much of the adhesive as I could, including slipping the blade down along the glass into the channel on both sides. I took it slowly, because of course the window is tempered glass -- so one mistake, and it’s “game over.”

I then gently tapped on the channel with a piece of wood, hoping to free it. Then I tried the same with a very wide putty knife. No luck. I finally ended up using an angle grinder along the bottom corner of the channel. I made several light passes, making sure the piece remained cool enough to touch. (I didn’t want to create any hot spots -- that “tempered glass” thing again.)

After five minutes or so, the bottom edge of the channel had been weakened enough that I could peel the side of the channel back with my fingertips and remove the part.

At this point I could see that the window rested in a thin black plastic channel, which in turn rested in the part being replaced.

I left the plastic channel on the window. The new metal channel was a little too tight, so I expanded it until it fit. (I did find that warping the U-channel also warps the C-channel on the other side of the part. It may take some patience and a few tries to get both sides just right.)

I inserted the window/old plastic channel assembly into the new U-channel, using Permatex Ultra Grey as my adhesive/sealant. I let it dry overnight and reinstalled the window. So far, so good.

Edited by ttiwkram