Disabling power tailgate release button

I may have to watch to see if anyone has ideas... I am supposed to received a new UnderCover SE solid hard lid for my truck sometime Monday. I wondered the same thing about the tailgate when I went looking at Tonneau covers... and when I order the UnderCover SE... and I asked them about it. Apparently the cover I ordered fits over the entire tailgate, so the tailgate won't open without the lid being raised... which I don't mind, as I am looking for the security that is offered when the lid is locked...at least the idea of security, as everything can be broken into...

Couldn't the power line to the button on the tailgate be cut and another switch installed at some hidden place to turn it on and off? I don't know, Just asking.

Edited by Skip H

• 9 months later...

I’m going to figure this out everyone. I bought the pace Edwards electric bed cover for my Dually. The thousands of dollars in tools and many times guns that dwarf the tools value during hunting seasons. Being able to disable my tailgate from opening would be like having an 8ft mobile safe. The thief would literally have to then use serious equipment to get into the bed and it wouldn’t be a parking lot job or matter if they broke every window out. 

On 11/26/2021 at 11:29 PM, redwngr said:

Get a keylock tailgate from a lower trim truck.

They are still standard on base trims and still available to order on some others.

That would have to be keyed to the truck key to match the main tailgate and mid tailgate for it to work. Then also take the same steps to disable the multi pro electronic functions for it to be keyed. 
you could be more helpful in the Ram forum. 

9 hours ago, Phobby said:

That would have to be keyed to the truck key to match the main tailgate and mid tailgate for it to work. Then also take the same steps to disable the multi pro electronic functions for it to be keyed. 
you could be more helpful in the Ram forum. 

Not sure what your problem is.

Nobody said the keyed tailgate was a multi-pro --- it's not.  

But a standard tailgate is available, and it eliminates the issue of breaking into the truck to use the tailgate button.  (the issue that seeking possible solutions)

Keyed tailgate is standard on some trims and available on some others.  

Edited by redwngr

5 hours ago, redwngr said:

Not sure what your problem is.

Nobody said the keyed tailgate was a multi-pro --- it's not.  

But a standard tailgate is available, and it eliminates the issue of breaking into the truck to use the tailgate button.  (the issue that seeking possible solutions)

Keyed tailgate is standard on some trims and available on some others.  

Took me a minute today and figured it out. 

There is a very simple way to disable the Tailgate buttons inside and outside of the truck. In the Driver side fuse panel, pull the bottom right two relays. Bottom relay K3 is Main tail gate and the one above it K4 is the small section.