Disabling power tailgate release button

I’m about to get a Roll N Lock bed cover and I want to be able to securely store items in my bed. 

I love that our trucks have a locking tailgate but it’s Achilles heel is the in cab tailgate release button. You do not need to have the key in the ignition for it to work. Therefore if someone smashed my window they could easily get into my bed. 

I haven’t taken apart the dash yet to get to the wiring but is it as easy as unplugging the switch?  Is it also possible to take it from always on to an accessory on power circuit?

Last ditch low tech approach would be to put a lock on the inside of the bed where I would have to roll back the cover to unlock the tailgate. 

I have not looked to see if it's possible, but could a fella jamb a toothpick in somewhere to keep it from moving? If'n not, maybe jamb it so it pokes your finger when you try to. Maybe hot glue a thumbtack upside down to it. 

I use it to drop the gate, backing up to equipment or loading docks. So, I'm glad gm came up with it.

But we all use our trucks differently. Need some of these things adjustable under the settings in the center stack.

• Like 1

Only issue I've had is the distortion of the backup camera. It makes things look further away than they actually are. I backed into a parking stall at a golf range/batting cages place and used the button to drop my tailgate so my son could get is baseball bag. I thought I was far enough from the vehicle behind me. Nope. Dropped my tailgate onto the hood of a brand new black Ford Ranger. The plastic corner at the top of the tailgate chipped the paint on the hood. I offered to pay for repair, but the guy was cool. So, I felt really bad about it. Now I'm more careful about using that button.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Damn, where are you parking that you are concerned about people smashing your windows?  Most of the time cars are "broken into" they are really just left unlocked and someone gives the handle a jiggle, "breaks in", steals what they can sell quick.  Lock your truck, have an alarm, don't park in shady areas.

Edited by Sjordan

I live downtown in the 4th largest city in America (Houston).  Smash and grabs are a daily occurrence here. 
I live in off-base military housing. It seems to be a weekly occurrence that a bunch of people are on the community Facebook pages whining about how their car got broken into overnight. It doesn't matter how big or small the community surrounding the military bases are.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i accidentally hit mine once. because of the hard cover and some snow/ice, it didnt open. 30 min later driving down a bumpy road, it DID open and with $10k of marine exhaust in the back. thankfully everything stayed put. i didnt realize it had opened until i went to back into the parking space at my destination. i hate that little button.