Snow/ice chain issues with ball joints

I have used Glacier V-bar H2828SC ice chains for 2014-2018 1500s with no issues. We have ice storm this week so put on the AT4 (OEM size tire General ATX) rear with no issues. The front would not fit... same name and part #. Started comparing the chains and they are made slightly different so they are  essentially 3 links shorter. So not a big deal, grabbed some chain links with screw on fastener and extended them. But then afterwards I noticed this before driving. The newer truck tires are really close to the ball joints and I think even with street tires the sidewalls would still be the same width. So had to drive without front chains. Drive was short and went ok but now I need some ideas on what I can do to allow room for the front chains? Only think I can think of are spacers on all 4 wheels. 

E4E5FC94-0ADF-4DD8-92EC-A02925B109F8.jpeg

C258AA2B-44CC-4317-89AD-B88BE003F010.jpeg

ED920F13-BDF0-4699-8A63-CF08A0C91698.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

How was the clearance on the back tires?

Looking in the Owner's Manual to see what they require/recommend I discovered I can't run chains with my 275/60R20 tires, so I've been researching "Alternative Traction Devices" such as the "AutoSock" that my state approves.

My state (WA) requires drivers to carry chains or an "Alternative Traction Device" when going over mountain passes in the winter, even if your vehicle is 4x4/AWD. I don't go over the passes very often, and hardly ever during winter, but since I plan on keeping my 19 HC for a long time I thought I'd pick up a set of chains for it, just in case. 

But if the chains have enough clearance on the back tires then installing them there will satisfy our state's carry chains requirement.

I don’t know why the manual says you can’t run chains with 20 inch wheels...Just curious what size wheels do allow chains because I think the clearance to the ball joint will be the same no matter what. 

Anyway, they fit the back just fine with the stock tire size just make sure they’re tight because one was a little loose and I heard a little noise and it was hitting the bottom lower portion of the mudflap/fender-flare but I tightened up the third cam lock on the chains and it did just fine but if you have a larger size tire that clearance might be pretty close. But just remember like I said I bought two sets of the exact same chains and one set is ultimately three links shorter so make sure you test fit them before you need them. 

Edited by EXSlider400

I don't know what all sizes come on them, but the manual says not to use chains on these:
LT265/70R17, LT275/65R18, 275/60R20, 275/50R22

Looks like the WT truck you can get a 255/70R17 so it might have enough clearance to take chains.

I'll stop by my local tire store and test fit a set for the back tires, that will satisfy my state's carry chains requirement.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RAYS B4U said:

I don't know what all sizes come on them, but the manual says not to use chains on these:
LT265/70R17, LT275/65R18, 275/60R20, 275/50R22

Looks like the WT truck you can get a 255/70R17 so it might have enough clearance to take chains.

I'll stop by my local tire store and test fit a set for the back tires, that will satisfy my state's carry chains requirement.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Still ice and now slush on the roads. The v-bar chains have been doing great. Let the neighbor use my other set since he had to drive at midnight when it all refroze and said they did great and no way he could have driven on that ice without them. I had taken mine off since the snow started to melt and put them in the cab.

6C8636E4-7886-495C-92AF-5FB2FADEDB2A.jpeg

I believe it's because the clearance is so tight, especially at the upper control arms. Aftermarket UCA's are even worse, it's why we see all kinds of tire rubbing issues when people try to put aftermarket wheels and bigger tires on these vehicles.  Basically the 20" wheels and the 18" with off road tires there's no clearance to the UCA's so basically any AT4, no chains up front. 

I guess GM really is embracing that their trucks are just mall queens. That said chains just on the rear should get you through almost anything you ever need to, and if you need chains on all 4, you really should have turned around a long long time ago :)  I can only think of a couple times hunting in ND winters where I put chains on all 4 when I was young and dumb, and I even then I knew I should have turned around miles ago.

17 hours ago, todd308 said:

I believe it's because the clearance is so tight, especially at the upper control arms. Aftermarket UCA's are even worse, it's why we see all kinds of tire rubbing issues when people try to put aftermarket wheels and bigger tires on these vehicles.  Basically the 20" wheels and the 18" with off road tires there's no clearance to the UCA's so basically any AT4, no chains up front. 

I guess GM really is embracing that their trucks are just mall queens. That said chains just on the rear should get you through almost anything you ever need to, and if you need chains on all 4, you really should have turned around a long long time ago :)  I can only think of a couple times hunting in ND winters where I put chains on all 4 when I was young and dumb, and I even then I knew I should have turned around miles ago.

Totally agree with GM going more and more “mall queen”. But about every 5-10 years all 4 tires with chains are useful where I live due to ice storms (yea not a young guy anymore). No chains on the front and you can’t steer. Mostly I use them as a way to safely get back home and then stay put. Guess I will have to just use the rear chains now...

also, that Ford had way more clearance around the rear wheel opening. If I had larger tires I may not of had room for chains. 

Edited by EXSlider400

• 10 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, Steve-2019 said:

In worst case, you could use tire cables. ?

Yes, I ordered some Cables that have class S clearance specifications and installed some 1/4 inch wheel spacers. No they’re not hubcentric because no one makes any in the 1/4” (6mm) size for OEM rims (if anyone knows of a company that does please let me know). I’ll take some pictures and post them later. 

Edited by EXSlider400