Exhaust system

Fubar12

50 minutes ago, Scott Killman said:

You will have drone unless you disable DFM. Until I received my Pulsar LT instead of putting it in drive, I used manual and kept it on L9 and never had any drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drone would be tolerable if it was one note.  Never realized how active the DFM is.  Just non-stop note changes from constant configuration changes.  So far gotta say I'm not loving it, and Pulsar's are backordered for the foreseeable future.  I'll give it the week to see. 

Kept resonators and flapper, just muffler delete.  Apparently YouTube videos don't get great audio cause it is WAY louder than expected inside the cab!

Yeah I was surprised at how loud it was too. It should get a little quieter with time. Either that or I’m just used to it now. It doesn’t bother me or anyone else in my truck unless I punch it. Then it’s loud.

It was a cheap fix until I figure out which exhaust system I want to go with.

The drone would be tolerable if it was one note.  Never realized how active the DFM is.  Just non-stop note changes from constant configuration changes.  So far gotta say I'm not loving it, and Pulsar's are backordered for the foreseeable future.  I'll give it the week to see. 

Yeah the drone with DFM is bad. Annoying as hell. I just kept it in manual and no higher gear than 9th. Doing that it never droned.

Yeah the drone with DFM is bad. Annoying as hell. I just kept it in manual and no higher gear than 9th. Doing that it never droned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Killman said:

The manual thing definitely helped, but still just not for me. Way louder than what I was hoping for, at least on the highway. I just order a Borla Pro XS muffler (40359) and I'll have it installed hopefully next week. Exhaust shop is gonna love me by the time its all said and done!

The manual thing definitely helped, but still just not for me. Way louder than what I was hoping for, at least on the highway. I just order a Borla Pro XS muffler (40359) and I'll have it installed hopefully next week. Exhaust shop is gonna love me by the time its all said and done!

Yeah it was definitely louder than I anticipated but I swear it seems quieter now. It’s been several weeks. Maybe I’m just used to it now.

I’ve been thinking about getting my Borla XR1 installed without the resonators. Had one on my 2005 5.3 and it sounded great. Let me know how you like that once you get it installed.

1 hour ago, iwannaseeatnight said:

By that time you could have bought a Catback system with all the different things you have tried. My Corsa on my 2019 standard box was $1180, my Gibson on my 2018 short box which is also a kick@$$ system was $480. Never droned with AFM or when I tuned it. Give that a try. Half the price and with what you have done already along with shop costs. I bet you’re over $480. 
one of my shops here in Iowa wanted $350 for a muffler delete. Thought that was ridiculous. Paid $130 extra and got all new system without any welds and risk of rusting later down the road. 

31 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

By that time you could have bought a Catback system with all the different things you have tried. My Corsa on my 2019 standard box was $1180, my Gibson on my 2018 short box which is also a kick@$$ system was $480. Never droned with AFM or when I tuned it. Give that a try. Half the price and with what you have done already along with shop costs. I bet you’re over $480. 
one of my shops here in Iowa wanted $350 for a muffler delete. Thought that was ridiculous. Paid $130 extra and got all new system without any welds and risk of rusting later down the road. 

Your shops are expensive!! I paid $55 for the muffler delete, just a straight piece of 3.5" welded in (they found a 4' piece in the back). Pro XS is only $97 + another $55 to install, so only be at $217 total. If that doesn't suit me I'm just going back to stock (yeah, another $55).

14 minutes ago, iwannaseeatnight said:

Your shops are expensive!! I paid $55 for the muffler delete, just a straight piece of 3.5" welded in (they found a 4' piece in the back). Pro XS is only $97 + another $55 to install, so only be at $217 total. If that doesn't suit me I'm just going back to stock (yeah, another $55).

Ya they are expensive!!  Well hopefully this suits you. I know your not looking for performance gains but not having the flappers is a huge improvement. Those things restrict the flow of air a ton. My father is a mechanic at a little shop in a small town and he helped me put my Corsa system in and we cut off the flappers to get the exhaust off. He couldn’t believe how much they restrict air flow. In my opinion it should be the first mod for these trucks!  Night and day difference. Good luck again, and hopefully that Borla works out for you. 

26 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Ya they are expensive!!  Well hopefully this suits you. I know your not looking for performance gains but not having the flappers is a huge improvement. Those things restrict the flow of air a ton. My father is a mechanic at a little shop in a small town and he helped me put my Corsa system in and we cut off the flappers to get the exhaust off. He couldn’t believe how much they restrict air flow. In my opinion it should be the first mod for these trucks!  Night and day difference. Good luck again, and hopefully that Borla works out for you. 

What they do to these trucks is awful. Restricting airflow in and out, the dfm, and everyone's favorite... auto stop/start. Spend all that $ on a truck just to spend even more to undo the nonsense. Love to cut out the flapper, just worried about added drone. There is another exhaust thread on here that had a bulletin on bolting it open. May try that as its easily undone.

On my '15 I had cai, borla cat back, and afm disabled and just that made it so much more responsive. Over extended a bit on the specs on this one so don't have as much cash to play with ?

Had the Pro XS installed yesterday on the way home from work.  Only charged $30 this time!  Definitely quiets it down.  Still drone on the highway, but not near as loud and I would say tolerable.  Slightly louder than stock on acceleration in the cab.  Haven't had a chance to have someone rev it while I'm behind to hear it.  Cold start this morning had a bit of a grumble, but not near as loud as the muffler delete which should make the wife and neighbors happy (she said deleted cold start startled her out of bed ?).  I'm going to leave it this way for a couple months to let the muffler settle in and get some soot build up, then see where it's at.