2014 AC compressor exploded

About 2 weeks ago I was getting on the highway with the heater on and I heard the worst belt squeal ever. Looked at the rear view mirror and saw a cloud of smoke. I pulled over and found fluid everywhere. I popped the hood to find green dye all over (I have already fixed the AC condenser crack so I had some UV dye in the system). I saw the AC belt was shredded and the compressor was completely locked up. I was a ASE master tech for awhile so I decided to tackle the job. When I got the compressor out I was really surprised by what I found. It really EXPLODED. The picture is pretty impressive. Needless to say all I have left of the original AC system is the evaporator. Hopefully it holds together....  

IMG_1624.jpg

12 minutes ago, RCairns said:

About 2 weeks ago I was getting on the highway with the heater on and I heard the worst belt squeal ever. Looked at the rear view mirror and saw a cloud of smoke. I pulled over and found fluid everywhere. I popped the hood to find green dye all over (I have already fixed the AC condenser crack so I had some UV dye in the system). I saw the AC belt was shredded and the compressor was completely locked up. I was a ASE master tech for awhile so I decided to tackle the job. When I got the compressor out I was really surprised by what I found. It really EXPLODED. The picture is pretty impressive. Needless to say all I have left of the original AC system is the evaporator. Hopefully it holds together....  

IMG_1624.jpg

Yeah this plagued many 2014s.  My old 2014 included.  Not as bad of an explosion for me.  Happened at 37k on my old 2014 and then worked fine till 80 or 90k and then all kinds of AC issues hit the truck.  Would still have that truck if it wasn't for all the AC issues.

Upper hose had to be replaced, replaced Schroder valves, compressor and condenser replaced, drier replaced.  Only thing I didn't replace was the evaporator.