5.3l, 6.0l, or 6.2l swap or cam

I'm pushing 170k on somewhat stock 5.3l lmg0 CC gmc sierra 1500. Its the garbage 3.08 gear and g80 locker. Going to regear to 3.73 with truetrac. On 24" 285 40r24. Lowered 2/3 going 3/5. Not important. My question is should I stick with the 5.3l do a afm delete a good choice of torque cam or vvt tsp cam redoing heads, chain oil pump tune etc. Cost would be around 2500 plus labor so around 4-5k on a mildly tired motor. Or do I purchase a brand new l96 6.0l for 5-6k and throw it in maybe throw a mild or tsp vvt cam before its put in. Or do I buy a remanufactured 6.2l l9H do the same for cam as well or not for around the same price of the l96? Problem with the 6.2l is a 2500$ core charge. I do not think my 5.3l would be an acceptable core I would probably have to sell it through the market. Reasons for the l96 is because it's a very reliable motor and it's flex fuel and has VVT and no afm. The l9h 6.2l is the same as well. Its a daily driver vehicle seldom will do WOT pulls. Only do it to pass poeple on highway or to hear the nice engine roar and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Might pull a fishing boat if the season is right its a 17-18' aluminum hull bass tracker. Didnt really pay attention to the weight. I just feel the truck is a dog just driving around town. Also am worried about the reliability of the 5.3l with high mileage. I know the 6.0l lasts well over 250k miles not sure on the 6.2l. I run Amsoil SS and have universal bypass as well and change oil twice a year. Thays probably not important either. Buying a used engine not knowing what the person did to the engine before me kind of throws my peace of mind out the window. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Personally I would probably do a good AFM delete kit on the 5.3. Swapping the motor means a new ECM and all that jazz which is a much much bigger job. The 5.3 is a pretty reliable engine other than the AFM system. 

Keep in mind that most real high power cams also require a torque converter though. I've heard good things about the TSP Stage 2 Truck Cam (+60HP, +30Tq) which is designed to keep your torque converter. 

On a related note, you can totally do a cam and AFM delete yourself if you have the interest.

• 1 month later...