7,500 Mile Report - 2021 AT4 Yukon (with 6 Suggestions For Improvement)

Rolled over 7,500 miles on my 2021 AT4 Yukon.  Have driven Suburbans/Denali XLs for years.  This is my first Yukon/Tahoe model.

Issues are none.  To date, a reset of the TPI and the too short pigtail wire under the driver's seat have been the only issues.  Impressive for new model.

Finally use to the push button transmission.  Still not a fan but don't have to think about now.  It took this long  to adapt.

Gas mileage continues to climb but still not equal too or better than my 6.2L 2017 Denali XL.

A couple of suggestions for the GM folks on how to make this model ever better:

1) The climate control needs a slower initial speed.  Even on low, its a pretty good blow and sometimes you just want less.

2)  The turn signal "clicker" is loud....needs to be muted.  Sounds like a cheap Hertz rental car.

3) The Black Chrome surround of the front grill seems to chip easily.  Disappointed in the number of chips already.  Had Xpelled the rest of the front end but the grill would be hard to do because of the curves.

4) Move the power window switches back on the drivers door.  The natural reaching motion for them means I always seem to open the rear window instead of the driver's window.

5) Move the override button for the auto stop feature to somewhere easier to get to (hidden below and to the left of the steering wheel).

6) Slow down the retractable running boards. If you open and close the front door they retract before you can even open the rear door.

Glad to hear it’s going well. Not so much for me. 4400 miles on ours. Just got it back from the dealer for an electrical issue. They had it for 5 days. The software update completely drained the battery and damaged the ECM. They replaced the ECM and now it says there is another update and the infotainment screen stays on when the car is turned off. Back in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Adplusone said:

Rolled over 7,500 miles on my 2021 AT4 Yukon.  Have driven Suburbans/Denali XLs for years.  This is my first Yukon/Tahoe model.

Issues are none.  To date, a reset of the TPI and the too short pigtail wire under the driver's seat have been the only issues.  Impressive for new model.

We've had our 21 Tahoe for 2 months now and crazy that you mention the short pigtail wiring under the driver's seat. 2 weeks ago, we had the same issue where it was causing issues bringing up the Service Safety Restraint System. Which I guess has to do with the airbags. We took it in the same day and they fixed it for us, but otherwise like you, this has been quite an impressive upgrade for this model year. Now I can't wait to see what they do with the 22 Silverado's as I'm itching to get rid of my '18 with the new interior.

• 2 months later...

I've just hit 2200 miles on mine, it was a long wait. Ordered at the dealer before Thanksgiving, and it showed up during a blizzard the end of Feb. I had them hold onto it until the end of the week. I've not had any real problem other than the Sirius radio not responding. I was online with a very patient overseas agent, he reset the system a couple of times. Likewise, I could hear his chickens in the background, it's improved. I understand in the last couple of year several of the Government satellites for GPS and such have gone down which were not replaced.  We took it on a long run to Virginia, it performed effortlessly. I was getting 23.5 mpg. Still take time getting used to. My sister-in-law loved the second row power and heated bucket seats. The space between them was great for a small cooler for water and snacks.  MY truck came in with several things not ordered but nothing that changed the price. I had a hefty GM discount added to the 31000 miles 2015 I traded. I miss the in dash vault and the overhead  sunglass holder. Still finding things out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 6000 miles on my 2021 Suburban.  Overall, I am extremely happy with it.

My change recommendation is to make the control center "Home" button closer to the display.

When I am using CarPlay and want to use one of the regular control center functions (e.g. camera), I have to go searching well below the display for the "Home" button to get back to the regular controls.  This is not so easy when you're driving and trying to maintain control.  The "Home" button should be right there and very obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, Adplusone said:

2)  The turn signal "clicker" is loud....needs to be muted.  Sounds like a cheap Hertz rental car.

4) Move the power window switches back on the drivers door.  The natural reaching motion for them means I always seem to open the rear window instead of the driver's window.

#2 - likely won't happen because there are still clueless people out there who will drive for miles with their turn signal on.

#4 - completely agree.  Same with the 2016 Traverse I have now... I never hit the wrong window switch with my 2005 Ram, but I am constantly opening the rear window instead of the front in the Trav.

• 8 months later...

Just purchased 2021 Yukon Denali XL that dealer owner used for self for 6 months.  Loaded with every option. Had 7k miles on it.  Certified. 

Glad I bought this way as he likely worked out any kinks and I got a full inspection/oil change etc prior to taking possession.

Just learning how to operate this beast but so far so good.  Definitely a massive learning curve to fully utilize the vehicle.