In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Ian Mills

What type of differential?

I've got a 2005 Silverado 1500 with the NP8 transfer case and I know it has the g80 rear end but I cant figure out what type of differential is in the front. Is it open? A posi?

It's an open diff, they all are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

It's an open diff, they all are.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Next question: I replaced the fluid in my front diff recently and the old fluid was all kinds of bad (ice, water, bubbles, glitter). There is also some noise that seems to be coming from there even in 2wd and both axle seals are starting to weep so I'm expecting to need to do or hire out some work in the near future. What's your opinion on upgrading to a Truetrac (912A557) front vs stock replacement?

Edited by Ian Mills

1 hour ago, Ian Mills said:

I've got a 2005 Silverado 1500 with the NP8 transfer case and I know it has the g80 rear end but I cant figure out what type of differential is in the front. Is it open? A posi?

G80 is the rpo for a posi unit

Well the G80 is the RPO for the rear differential. Also, the G80 is an automatic locking diff which is technically not a posi. A posi uses clutches and the G80 using spring loaded palls that engage at a certain rotational speed.

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Mills said:

Well the G80 is the RPO for the rear differential. Also, the G80 is an automatic locking diff which is technically not a posi. A posi uses clutches and the G80 using spring loaded palls that engage at a certain rotational speed.

G80 = Axle Positraction, Limited Slip.

GU_ = axle ratio in the diff

• Confused 1

I've attached the build sheet for my truck. Also, I just had my diff cover off last week and saw the locking palls. Fortunately my rear is in great shape, I'm more concerned with the front and potentially upgrading to a Truetrac.

2GCEK13T451341568 - 2005 Silverado (4).PDF

Edited by Ian Mills

Just now, Ian Mills said:

I've attached the build sheet for my truck. Also, I just had my diff cover off last week and saw the locking palls. Fortunately my rear is in great shape, I'm more concerned with the front.

2GCEK13T451341568 - 2005 Silverado (4).PDF 48.48 kB · 0 downloads

Usually on the front diff the side bearing adjuster tabs break and that causes the side bearing preload to loosen up which in turn causes the noise. 

48 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

G80 = Axle Positraction, Limited Slip.

GU_ = axle ratio in the diff

Are you seriously arguing the Eaton G80 is a limited slip? 

Note to self: don't take mechanical advice from Kent. 

23 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

Are you seriously arguing the Eaton G80 is a limited slip? 

Note to self: don't take mechanical advice from Kent. 

Maybe you should contact gm engineers because thats directly from the gm rpo guide champ.  

1 minute ago, Kent Hagler said:

Maybe you should contact gm engineers because thats directly from the gm rpo guide champ.  

That's why I attached my build sheet (from GM) that says "G80 - LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL" 

I can't speak for anyone else's truck but my truck has a locking rear diff that I've seen myself

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

That's great. RPO code RBX describes my Goodyear Fortitudes as 'All-Terrain.' 

Go open up a G80 and tell me what you find. I'll wait.

14 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

That's great. RPO code RBX describes my Goodyear Fortitudes as 'All-Terrain.' 

Go open up a G80 and tell me what you find. I'll wait.

Your just a typical internet troll that thinks they know it all.  Call it what you want, I bet you couldnt overhaul one and set it up correctly. I have overhauled these since 1988 (probably before you were born) when I started working at gm dealerships.  Post your real name salsa boy.  You can look mine up in the western region.  

https://www.gmstc.com/index.php/world-class-technician-list/