What type of differential?

46 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

Your just a typical internet troll that thinks they know it all.  Call it what you want, I bet you couldnt overhaul one and set it up correctly. I have overhauled these since 1988 (probably before you were born) when I started working at gm dealerships.  Post your real name salsa boy.  You can look mine up in the western region.  

https://www.gmstc.com/index.php/world-class-technician-list/

Cool credentials, old man.  Here's a history lesson:

In 1973, GM introduced the Eaton ADL (Automatic Differential Lock) on the C/K series trucks under the code G86, replacing the Eaton NoSpin.  In 1974, the Eaton ADL also replaced the Positraction limited-slip and took its option code (G80.)  For those counting, that was almost 50 years ago.

74pu02.jpg

It's an automatic locker; has been for years.  But yeah, you must know more than me because you don't use a screen name...

18 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

Cool credentials, old man.  Here's a history lesson:

In 1973, GM introduced the Eaton ADL (Automatic Differential Lock) on the C/K series trucks under the code G86, replacing the Eaton NoSpin.  In 1974, the Eaton ADL also replaced the Positraction limited-slip and took its option code (G80.)  For those counting, that was almost 50 years ago.

74pu02.jpg

It's an automatic locker; has been for years.  But yeah, you must know more than me because you don't use a screen name...

Here you go salsa boy, directly from gm service info.  Like I said, call it what you want.  Isnt your starbucks shift coming up?

image.png

17 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

Here you go salsa boy, directly from gm service info.  Like I said, call it what you want.  Isnt your starbucks shift coming up?

image.png

So the RPO code description is wrong.  Just one of many.  What's your point?  It's still not a limited slip.

I just hope I've riled you up enough that you go into work and start bragging about your internet argument to your coworkers, they ask what it was about, then you say that some salsa boy thinks the G80 is a locker.  At this point, I REALLY hope someone has a camera to get a picture of your face when your coworkers ask "Yeah... And what do you think it is?"   

Please post that picture to this thread.

Edited by Salsa De Piña

20 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

So the RPO code description is wrong.  Just one of many.  What's your point?  It's still not a limited slip.

I just hope I've riled you up enough that you go into work and start bragging about your internet argument to your coworkers, they ask what it was about, then you say that some salsa boy thinks the G80 is a locker.  At this point, I REALLY hope someone has a camera to get a picture of your face when your coworkers ask "Yeah... And what do you think it is?"   

Please post that picture to this thread.

Lol, you must be worked up by now editing your post.  Actually, real techs dont give a rats ass what its called.  We just know how it works and how to fix it.  Tell nacho libre I said hi please. 

1 minute ago, Kent Hagler said:

Lol, you must be worked up by now editing your post.  Actually, real techs dont give a rats ass what its called.  We just know how it works and how to fix it.  Tell nacho libre I said hi please. 

TIL "real techs" don't know the difference between a limited slip and a locking differential, but they're fine with that because they can make snarky comments on the internet to hide their insecurity.  

For the sake of pickup drivers in the Colorado Springs area, I hope the dealership limits you to the lube bay.  Even there, I think you're still a liability.

4 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

TIL "real techs" don't know the difference between a limited slip and a locking differential, but they're fine with that because they can make snarky comments on the internet to hide their insecurity.  

For the sake of pickup drivers in the Colorado Springs area, I hope the dealership limits you to the lube bay.  Even there, I think you're still a liability.

Is that what nacho told you to reply with?

I cant believe that, anytime your ready to put your hands to work instead of your mouth come look me up.  I will hands down show you hows its done in the real world and not your internet fantasy life.  Goodnight salsa boy

4 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

Is that what nacho told you to reply with?

I cant believe that, anytime your ready to put your hands to work instead of your mouth come look me up.  I will hands down show you hows its done in the real world and not your internet fantasy life.  Goodnight salsa boy

I appreciate the offer, but the pay cut doesn't interest me.  But for clarification, would that be your "real world" where Silverados have limited slip diffs, or my "fantasy life" where they have auto lockers?  Check with the other real techs and get back to me.

58 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

I appreciate the offer, but the pay cut doesn't interest me.  But for clarification, would that be your "real world" where Silverados have limited slip diffs, or my "fantasy life" where they have auto lockers?  Check with the other real techs and get back to me.

Wow, I didnt realize starbucks paid so well.  Assuming you are the manager there and a good one as I suspect then your $62k a year is what I was making turning wrenches in the late 90's.  Nowadays you are going to have to get 2 management jobs there and a another full time job at autozone to come close to what I make. I spoke with the other techs and they asked if you could post a pic of your tools and toolbox you use to put all your interent knowledge to work. 

I don’t really care what they call them. Working off road when I need both wheels pulling they did. My GM performance cars too. Opposed to some performance Fords I’ve owned that had open rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Kent Hagler said:

Wow, I didnt realize starbucks paid so well.  Assuming you are the manager there and a good one as I suspect then your $62k a year is what I was making turning wrenches in the late 90's.  Nowadays you are going to have to get 2 management jobs there and a another full time job at autozone to come close to what I make. I spoke with the other techs and they asked if you could post a pic of your tools and toolbox you use to put all your interent knowledge to work. 

Still nattering away in an attempt to deflect from you not knowing what diff comes in GM's most popular vehicle? Really says something about the quality of GM's 'world class' technicians. I don't think I'd be comfortable letting you check my tire pressures.

15 hours ago, Ian Mills said:

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Next question: I replaced the fluid in my front diff recently and the old fluid was all kinds of bad (ice, water, bubbles, glitter). There is also some noise that seems to be coming from there even in 2wd and both axle seals are starting to weep so I'm expecting to need to do or hire out some work in the near future. What's your opinion on upgrading to a Truetrac (912A557) front vs stock replacement?

To go back on topic here and put the flames out on the G80 weaponized pissing contest....

Eaton does not make a Truetrac for the front.  912A557 is for an 8.5" 10 bot solid front axle. 

Nobody makes a limited slip or locker for the 8.25" IFS front diff.  Your only options, if you re-build, will be stock or aftermarket stock parts.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3