2014 silverado 1500 bad catalytic converter Code P0420/P0430

Hello,

Thanks for your help in advance! I've seen some other threads on this, but nothing that covers what cats I can use to replace the bad ones. I bought a 14' Chev with the 5.3 just a couple months ago. Several problems since then. I just took it to a mechanic because it had a check engine light on and wouldn't pass emissions. They said it's a bad fuel pump and would need to be replaced with a high pressure. So we did that for $1,000 but the two codes came up again the next day. P0430, P0420. I know one of the cats was already replaced and I was told it's a good quality one. 

I was told by the same shop that did the fuel pump that only OEM cats will work/not throw the codes. Are there aftermarket cats that will work so I don't have to drop another $2,000 for OEM cats?

Logan 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 12:20 PM, Logan S said:

Hello,

Thanks for your help in advance! I've seen some other threads on this, but nothing that covers what cats I can use to replace the bad ones. I bought a 14' Chev with the 5.3 just a couple months ago. Several problems since then. I just took it to a mechanic because it had a check engine light on and wouldn't pass emissions. They said it's a bad fuel pump and would need to be replaced with a high pressure. So we did that for $1,000 but the two codes came up again the next day. P0430, P0420. I know one of the cats was already replaced and I was told it's a good quality one. 

I was told by the same shop that did the fuel pump that only OEM cats will work/not throw the codes. Are there aftermarket cats that will work so I don't have to drop another $2,000 for OEM cats?

Logan 

The bad fuel pump likely took out the new cat, so make sure all is well before you replace them again.  I have Magnaflow cats and y-pipe on my truck now for over 3 years with no troubles.  Got a good deal from GotExhaust back then.  Cheap Chicom cats don't long at all.  Sell your old ones to the scrap man to offset the cost.

Edited by swathdiver