2018 Warranty Question TIRES

I have about 26,000 miles on my truck with 7 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty. Both of my passenger side tires are losing air and need topped off a couple of times a week. Both tires have good tread and recently passed state inspection. I need to get them checked out soon. Is this something that is covered under the factory warranty?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

No. Factory tires are NOT covered by the b-b warranty according to my dealer. I had 34,000 on my OE tires and they were shot, typical junk Goodyear’s. When I asked about warranty on them, my dealer said tires are not covered nor prorated with the b-b warranty. So I then tried claiming warranty with Goodyear since they claim they are a 60,000 mile tire. Goodyear told me the OE tires are not covered for their tire warranty because the tires weren’t purchased by me and came on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you catpartsman for the info. The factory Goodyears on my truck will also never make 60,000 miles. Although I have good tread now, as far as passing state inspection, I am thinking I will need to look at tires before next winter. These have also been some of the roughest riding LT tires I have ever owned.

1 hour ago, catpartsman said:

I had 34,000 on my OE tires and they were shot, typical junk Goodyear’s. 

Driving style has a lot to do with tire and vehicle wear. I had no problem obtaining 63,000 miles from the stock tires and only replaced them due to free .gov cash and the tires being on sale. I'll probably get well over 100,000 miles out the the factory brake material. YMMV. 

Driving style has a lot to do with tire and vehicle wear. I had no problem obtaining 63,000 miles from the stock tires and only replaced them due to free .gov cash and the tires being on sale. I'll probably get well over 100,000 miles out the the factory brake material. YMMV. 

Completely agree on the driving style. Considering my 34,000 miles were all freeway miles it was hard to believe they didn’t get any better mileage. The set I replaced them with, Toyo Open Country AT2 have over 81,000 miles on them with roughly 1/4-3/8” tread depth left. Should make it through the summer with them no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely agree about driving style. I had over 90K on a set of Michelins on my last truck and they still had tread on them. My current Goodyears tread does not seem as good and will not make it to 60K. The tires are loud and vibrate at interstate speeds. I had them checked at inspection but they were all balanced and good. I guess I prefer a smoother ride and will probably look at another set of Michelins.

Tires are not covered under warranty. In the bumper to bumper guarantee you need to take them to the a store that handles that brand and have them inspected for manufacturing defects. If they are then that particular tire dealer can contact the manufacturer to see if they will replace them for you.

It's not advisable to run tires that have slow leaks, what ever caused them of is causing the will wiggle on each revolution of the tire and will damage them where they cannot be patched.

Most of this info is listed in your service manual. and your truck warranty may be different depending on the state you live in.

14 hours ago, Dee74 said:

I have about 26,000 miles on my truck with 7 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty. Both of my passenger side tires are losing air and need topped off a couple of times a week. Both tires have good tread and recently passed state inspection. I need to get them checked out soon. Is this something that is covered under the factory warranty?

Yeah, I've never known any warranty that covers the original tires 

I'd get new tires and enjoy my truck if my tires were causing me concern.  I've replaced my OE tires shortly after purchase on my past three trucks with Michelins from Costco.   I have no trouble selling the take-offs to help offset the expense.  In all three, the improvement in ride and traction was significant.

23 hours ago, Dee74 said:

Alloy rims? Rust belt? Steel rims? Curb scuff them? Schrader valve or a rim leak is most likely. Corrosion. Or a poor initial sealing. Have them inspected, remounted, rebalanced. This is a mole hill, not a mountain. Are these street tires or A/T ?

A/T's will generally last as long as you can stand the  noise :)  Street tires will last well past the exact replacement warranty IF taken proper care of AND driven like an adult. Just replaced my factory H/T's Bridgestone at 125,000 with 5/32 remaining. Over twice the Bridgestone warranty. They dated out. Wife ran her 60K Michelin 90K. Now has 46K on some Conti's with 8/32 to go. Maintenance when it comes to anything is huge.  

IMHO

Well I took some time to take them off yesterday and place them in tub of soapy water but did not see any leaks so it must be really slow. Both of the rims look good, no scuffs or damage. On close inspection the tires look much different than the driver's side. The passenger side rubber looks like it is starting to dry rot from the looks of all of the tiny cracks around the rim up to about the white lettering, this may be the cause of the noise and slow leak. This is a little strange as the driver's side does not look like this. I am going to take to a Goodyear tire dealer and see what their thoughts are about what is going on.

I have not looked at my warranty package but the tires are covered by the tire manufacturer.  IF the tire dealer won't do it he is being a ahole. I had GY replaced on my 2015 Sierra because the GY dealer could not get them to balance after the GMC gave up.  BUT, the tire dealer has to be proactive and many won't do that, sorry to say, because they won't make any money.

Keep in mind that everything, repeat everything that goes into building a vehicle comes from the low bid supplier.  And as most things that come from a low bid, quality often is second best, aka good enough.

Edited by elcamino