3500 DRW Hitch Height

Hi all,

I have a new 3500 DRW in transit, I expect it to arrive some time next month. One thing I'm trying to take care of ahead of time is ordering a new drop hitch for the 2.5" receiver so I can jump right into pulling a trailer. But I'm finding it impossible to find the hitch height documented anywhere. I checked with my dealer and they also weren't able to find any documentation on that dimension, and since nobody has any duallys in stock we couldn't just walk up to one and measure it.

If any of you happen to know the height, or if you already have a 20/21 3500 dually I'd really appreciate if you could share the height (measured from ground to the top of the receiver)! Thanks!

Quick rtfm check for where I've already searched:

Edited by John FX

4 minutes ago, Metz54 said:

Just checked a 20 DRW, to the top of the receiver is 22.5".

Thanks! Is that with factory suspension, unloaded? I'm a little surprised since the other post measured a 2020 2500 to be 24". I expected a DRW to sit at least the same, or even higher.

2 minutes ago, John FX said:

Thanks! Is that with factory suspension, unloaded? I'm a little surprised since the other post measured a 2020 2500 to be 24". I expected a DRW to sit at least the same, or even higher.

That is unloaded on a 20 High Country, I would think all the trims are the same height. I was surprised as well on one sheet I found from Chevy, the 3500 SRW has a total height 1" taller than the 2500.

4 hours ago, Metz54 said:

Now that I think about it, you get smaller tires on the DRW. 

Good call. I just checked a tire website to get the tire sizes from the factory.

2020 Silverado HC 2500 = LT275/65R20 = 275mm * .65 = 178.75mm = 7.08" tire + 20" wheel = ~27" overall

2020 Silverado HC DRW = LT253/80R17 = 253mm * .8 = 202.4mm = 7.96" tire + 17" wheel = ~25" overall

So the DRW's axle is actually 1" lower to the ground. I imagine differences in suspension would raise the rest of the truck up to offset it, so they may be roughly the same overall ride height.

I figure all trucks are a little different so I'll post mine up too. I have a Chevrolet 3500 drw w/t with the Sulastic shackles which raised the rear at the wheel wells 1/4" when I measured. My hitch is 23" from the ground to the top.

Going back to every truck is different though, my last one was a 2018 f350 and one day at a new job site I parked next to another f350. I was about 2" lower in the front and 1" in the rear. He had aftermarket wheels and tires on his so I thought he just had a level kit and bigger tires. You should have heard how upset he got when I asked where he got his level kit, here he had a 6" lift kit on his just to get up to where mine sat from factory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

On 3/21/2021 at 5:13 AM, Keith_Schumaker said:

I figure all trucks are a little different so I'll post mine up too. I have a Chevrolet 3500 drw w/t with the Sulastic shackles which raised the rear at the wheel wells 1/4" when I measured. My hitch is 23" from the ground to the top.

Going back to every truck is different though, my last one was a 2018 f350 and one day at a new job site I parked next to another f350. I was about 2" lower in the front and 1" in the rear. He had aftermarket wheels and tires on his so I thought he just had a level kit and bigger tires. You should have heard how upset he got when I asked where he got his level kit, here he had a 6" lift kit on his just to get up to where mine sat from factory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I totally agree, every truck is different. Plus it also depends on what you load into it... if you've got a huge toolbox + a bunch of equipment always hanging around in the back its going to sag a bit.

FWIW in case anyone else discovers this thread and has the same question: It seems like I can expect the receiver height to sit somewhere in the mid-to-low 20"s. I ended up ordering the 10" drop hitch from weigh safe, I figured that will give me the most flexibility even if I don't need to use the full drop all the time.

Edited by John FX

42 minutes ago, John FX said:

Thanks for the info! I totally agree, every truck is different. Plus it also depends on what you load into it... if you've got a huge toolbox + a bunch of equipment always hanging around in the back its going to sag a bit.

FWIW in case anyone else discovers this thread and has the same question: It seems like I can expect the receiver height to sit somewhere in the mid-to-low 20"s. I ended up ordering the 10" drop hitch from weigh safe, I figured that will give me the most flexibility even if I don't need to use the full drop all the time.

Watch pulling out of parking lots with steep aprons,  I had a 8" drop on my f350 which was about 1" higher than my chevy and it would rub quite often leaving my local dunkin donuts.  It was a 2.5" shank that I bought to replace the shank on my w/d hitch so I just cut about 1" off the bottom and it wouldn't rub anymore.  Just remember the drop hitch isn't measured from top to bottom of hitch it is measured from top to bottom of ball.  My 6" weigh safe hitch with the 2.5 shank is 9" from top of hitch to the lowest point of the hitch, so a 10" would probably be 13" or so which would only leave about 10" ground clearance 4 feet behind your axle which isn't much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith_Schumaker said:

Watch pulling out of parking lots with steep aprons,  I had a 8" drop on my f350 which was about 1" higher than my chevy and it would rub quite often leaving my local dunkin donuts.  It was a 2.5" shank that I bought to replace the shank on my w/d hitch so I just cut about 1" off the bottom and it wouldn't rub anymore.  Just remember the drop hitch isn't measured from top to bottom of hitch it is measured from top to bottom of ball.  My 6" weigh safe hitch with the 2.5 shank is 9" from top of hitch to the lowest point of the hitch, so a 10" would probably be 13" or so which would only leave about 10" ground clearance 4 feet behind your axle which isn't much.

Oh good point, I didn't consider that. In that case I may change out which one I order...

• 3 months later...