VIN # released

I am new the forum,  Just ordered a 2021 2500hd,  it has been 18 years since I have ordered a vehicle, I am aware of the delays, but I wanted to know when the VIN# is provided during the process?  I want to put a topper on, and the lead time for that is 4-6 weeks.

Thanks

My dealer was able to get my VIN number immediately after it's production week. I am almost certain it hadn't even left the plant on the railcar yet and he had mine. There is a thread on here describing the process with all the 4 digit numbers, but I am not sure what number is associated with the VIN.  

You won't get a VIN until 3800.

• 500, this is a dealer stock order code used to order common vehicles. Please contact your dealer to receive an actual active order number.
• 1100, Preliminary order accepted (This means your dealer has entered your order into their system but does not mean they have the allocation to submit the order to GM yet. Speak with your dealer to verify when they expect to be able to submit your order for production)
• 2000, Order accepted by GM (This means the order has been submitted and accepted by production. You are now on your way.)
• 2030, Order re-edited (if necessary) (This is simply an edit code showing that something on your order has been changed. It does not mean your order has been accepted to production and really does not mean anything beyond your previous status other than a change has been made.)
• 2051, Order changed thru Web (same as above)
• 2500, Order preferenced (This means that the Order has been moved to the stage that parts department is now ready to place the orders for the components that will become your car)
• 3000, Order accepted by production control (This is the response from production to your 2500 status and is when Parts are actually ordered. No further changes can be made to your order once you reach this point.)
• 3100, Order available to sequence (This is more or less an inter-office memo from Parts to Production saying all parts are committed to this build, they are clear to sequence them for the build.)
• 3300, Order scheduled for production (This is the response to the 3100 status where Production is cleared to sequence and schedule the build) TPW usually avaiable
• 3400, Order broadcast (This is when the order is actually loaded onto the production line computers and parts are being staged for the build)
• 3800, Order produced (The vehicle is completed and has rolled off the line. A Vin is now available.)
• 4000, Available to ship (Vehicle is off the line and available to ship)
• 4104, Bailment Invoice (Shipping documents generated)
• 4200, Shipped (Vehicle has been moved by a carrier to another location or destination. If in combination with a 4300 status code then this is transfer to either a vendor for upfitting or to a distribution yard for final transportation.)
• 4300, Intermediate Delivery (In combination with a 4200 this is saying that the vehicle has been transported to a vendor or to a distribution center.)
• 4B00, Bayed (listed anytime a vehicle is sitting parked waiting for next mode of transportation. It can also be this status while in Quality Control)
• 4800 Rail Ramp Unload, end of the line by (if) rail. To be delivered by truck to dealer
• 5000, Delivered to the dealer
• 6000, Delivered to the customer
• 9000, Order Cancelled

• Like 2

I was at 3800 with a VIN on 3/8.  My dealer just gave me an ETA of 4/26.  I think the fact that they now have an ETA means it finally actually went to the outgoing shipper after a couple of weeks of moving around Flint.  

Edited by Another JR

My truck has an eta of 4/28 per the train shipping data page. Truck arrived in Portland on the way to Seattle area on Sunday. It doesn’t seem like it should take a month to delivery when it’s that close. Hoping it arrives sooner. Dealer has been sending almost daily updates of transit progress which I appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TheeSpaniard3500hd said:

My truck has an eta of 4/28 per the train shipping data page. Truck arrived in Portland on the way to Seattle area on Sunday. It doesn’t seem like it should take a month to delivery when it’s that close. Hoping it arrives sooner. Dealer has been sending almost daily updates of transit progress which I appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shipping companies are experiencing unprecedented demand,  transit delays and personnel shortages..  I been waiting for weeks to get a replacement door panel for my 16ft garage door and the local installer said its been taking months to get parts that used to take a week at most.    

Some things are just not important in the grand scheme of things and there is no priority to move them. That's just the way it is with the current state of affairs.  Vehicle movements are not high priority.

Edited by elcamino

• 2 weeks later...