Torque converter

So I read a lot of posts on tranny problems on the Silverado 6 speeds. I haven't had any problems as of yet 112k and counting, but was wondering should I change the torque converter because a lot of people say to do it. If the answer to this question is yes. What replacement should be used. 

If your truck has the 4.3, just give it the required severe schedule services and it will last a long long time. Forget the rest of this post. If however this truck has the V8 continue on. 

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/845-6l80-6l90-transmission-tech-advisory-consider-an-updated-converter-in-your-next-rebuild

I post this each time this question is asked and it is asked allot. Read it in it's entirety and really think about the "how and why" these failures happen. It's almost like asking if it's a good idea to continue bending a coat hanger as it hasn't broken yet, right? Then asking if you should replace it with the same type hanger! 

Yes, it is true that those who service it regularly and treat it kindly get longer service life from their units...most...of the time.

This is just information you can use to make a decision with. I'm not telling you what or how. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:18 PM, DeePa said:

Replace it. My trans looked great at 103 when I dropped the pan to do the filter. TQ converter went and wiped that trans at 106k. 5000 dollar repair at a dealer. 

So I have 62k on mine and it was slipping a little. Just had the pan dropped and filter replaced.

shifts firmed up a lot, feels like a new trans.

Wondering if you guys that had a fluid done and then it went, noticed something similar

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

So I have 62k on mine and it was slipping a little. Just had the pan dropped and filter replaced.

shifts firmed up a lot, feels like a new trans.

Wondering if you guys that had a fluid done and then it went, noticed something similar

Better shifts after fluid is normal for the 8-speed (can't speak on others). If the TC chuggle comes back, that's also normal after a few thousand miles, but varies on how soon. For me, got on it one day entering the highway, and didn't shift; slight hesitation then dropped to low gear/high rpms, all at 65 mph. Beginning of the end.

I have a remote filter on mine , just changed it after 3000mi and was getting brass glitter flakes, I'm at 50,000 miles, all stock and t-stat removed. I am concerned since i only drive it on weekends and never tow more than twice a year.  gonna pull the pan on it soon take a better look. I have disabled the Lockup in 1-4th gears, so should be very little wear on the tcc, i think i'm having bushing issues instead

there is a relearn function on these transmissions which corrects for leaky pistons and slipping,  but only the dealer can do the relearn proceedure..

Edited by pokismoki

On 6/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, KONGon22s said:

Better shifts after fluid is normal for the 8-speed (can't speak on others). If the TC chuggle comes back, that's also normal after a few thousand miles, but varies on how soon. For me, got on it one day entering the highway, and didn't shift; slight hesitation then dropped to low gear/high rpms, all at 65 mph. Beginning of the end.

i used to get the chuggle on the 6 speed when i was moding the slip parameters. when i set the v4 mode , in TCC lock I zeroed out the slip and it would chuggle and viberate a lot, , then i went back to the 10-20 rpm slip in lock up and the vibes went away.

• 1 month later...

So question, if your trans is starting to do the bucking/slipping and fluid is burnt, is the trans salvageable or is it toast at that point? My suburban just started and was gonna take it in. Shop has been in business since 1971 so they know they’re stuff but curious if there’s any hope of not replacing the whole thing. 

Got my answer. Was told they’d just replace everything out of precaution as they don’t know what the trans May or may not have digested so far. It sounds like it could be salvageable but not worth the fuss when throwing in a reman. $4-5k repair…. Ouch!

1 hour ago, pokismoki said:

the high temps  in the converter kills the o-ring seal that keeps the lock up clutch pressurized.  this will exhibit a lock unlock condition, probably never lock up after the o-ring has shrunk and cant hold pressure

Good to know

• Like 1