26 minutes ago, Bob 3500HD said:

You at high altitude?

85 is prevalent in the Rocky's

9 hours ago, Frank Fontana said:

Hey all, I know that 87 is the “recommended” octane, but has anybody run 85? Any issues?

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/872160/

A point to a point and a half per thousand feet in elevation. 

• Like 1

If you are at altitude and 85 is available, use it. I used it for years here in Colorado. Now that I'm retired and don't drive as many miles I use 87. All my gas engines recommend 87 in the manual. 

Using Top Tier gas is a good idea IMO.

• Like 2

Used 85 when in altitude in Colorado last month while towing 12k fiver, there was no noticeable difference in power or mileage. Thats why it exists. I would not use it at low elevations nor do I believe its generally available at low elevations away from mountainous regions? "E85" being the exception and new gasser is not designed to run on that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My beat up 5.3l v8 was pinging with 85 octane towing a 4500sh lb camper.  I filled up with 87 and it was fine.

That happened when I was driving up in the mountains west of colorado springs.  

On a newer motor perhaps its less of an issue, but imo i put in what the manual tells me to.