Disable Amber Cab Lights

On 7/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, newdude said:

If you wanted them off all the time, pull the driver A pillar trim and unplug it.  The roof lights are on their own harness.  

Here's the schematic:

rood.thumb.png.48dc940cdea2f2a256681f9eee4344eb.png

If you wanted your mirror markers to work correct still and just disable the cab markers, you'd have to control off of pin H3 circuit 709 or down the line of it or those two connector points along circuit 709.  Perhaps you could tie in a switch at the A pillar connector area for the roof marker harness?

Newdude and Another JR,

Thanks for the more technical response to my inquiry.  I did not intend to confuse the question by mentioning the California DOT requirements but that was suggested only to consider the possibility that the markers may be disabled by coding or it may be simply that California does not allow the option to be sold in state.

I did not want to get into the reason I wish to do this and was intending to focus on the how, where I fully expected this to be a simple exercise of replacing the fuse and/or relay with a contact extension, with a switch in series, to allow the option to be selected when desired from inside the cab and not making any permanent modifications to the vehicle.

I do have the schematic but cannot for the life of me, find the fuse (F34UA) or the relay (KR53) under the hood so I must at this point assume I'm blind, but if anyone can take a picture of the box showing either of these devices, that would be most helpful. 

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions to date and I look forward to any additional feedback possible.

JT

• 2 weeks later...

JT,

Sorry - I didn’t see your post until today. 

On my truck the fuses for the “PRK LAMP LT” and “PRK LAMP RT” are the fuses for the fender flare marker lights, the front corner marker lights, and the roof marker lights. They are fuses 34 and 42 in the main fuse box on the driver side of the engine compartment. Here are some pictures.

I suspect if you look hard you may find a connector in the engine compartment or fender area that would disconnect the roof marker lamps. I would start by following back the wire for the left flare light. 

27EDA399-3F83-4FC9-915D-3FB664256716.jpeg

C354BAE8-3755-4CE5-9226-B29273A4D31F.jpeg

Edited by Another JR

• 2 years later...

I moved back to Northern California, after living a decade plus out of state.

My new truck was purchased in CA and missing the lights on top. I prefer the look of having them included. My thinking is something to run by the service department as others have come across the same situation.

Edited by gregus73