How reliable is the 6.2

On 8/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, GodFather said:

Sorry to open old topic.  Just curious as to what fuel octane you current owners of the 6.2 are using?  Any issues using anything lower than the “highly recommended” 93 octane?  

Thanks, 

Gerry

I'm in California, so I'm stuck with 91 octane.  I've had zero issues so far.  I'd love to use 93 octane, but it's just not available.  6/20 build, so also in the bad valve spring timeframe, but no problems so far.  I'll be at 18,000 miles on the odometer this week or next.

Edited by Transient

On 8/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

I run 93 whenever possible in my 21 sierra 1500 at4 6.2. I did notice some pinging and lag when running lower grade fuel. Every few tanks I even throw in the lucas octane boost with the 93 fuel.....and that wakes her up nice!!

I have to run 93. 91 straight or ethanol blend still gives me bad knocking and for some reason my knock sensor doesn't seem to adjust. My problem is I only have 1 gas station that offers 93 in a 20 mile radius of where I live and I have to bring a bottle of Lucas octane booster with me when I travel when I can't find 93. 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, elcamino said:

Likely over 1 million vehicles have the modern (2014+) 6.2L engine for the past 7 yrs . It is an excellent engine. Like anything, it can be misused and misrepresented and blamed for things that are not its fault.  

Don't trust everything you read on the internet as 100% fact.

I don't know... Abraham Lincoln once said that everything on the internet is true.

• 1 year later...