UPR Catch Can

I repurposed the UPR catch can that I previously had on my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500.

The Kit UPR sells for the 6.6 liter gas has longer hoses and installs on the battery bracket. I found the bracket for the auxiliary battery tray work perfectly. My current hoses or a little longer than necessary but nothing too bad, overall easy to install and I'm happy with it.

PXL_20210904_194736041.jpg

PXL_20210904_193731743.jpg

39 minutes ago, Grjfer said:

I repurposed the UPR catch can that I previously had on my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500.

The Kit UPR sells for the 6.6 liter gas has longer hoses and installs on the battery bracket. I found the bracket for the auxiliary battery tray work perfectly. My current hoses or a little longer than necessary but nothing too bad, overall easy to install and I'm happy with it.

Grjfer, hopefully you believe that there are no bad questions....what is a catch can?  What does it do, how does it work, and what are the benefits?!  Always wondered...seems like a good time to ask.

I don't believe you need a catch can with a 6.6L gas engine.  GM has a very efficient system built into the engine and it does an excellent job separating oil out of air going back to the engine.

If GM " has done  an excellent job of separating the oil of of the air", why is my catch can collecting about one once of liquid per 1000 miies on my 2021 5.3 V8? ( I  am not burning any oil  between changes) This is oil that wont collect on the valves and cause coking.  I recommend a catch can on any direct injected gasoline engine.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, Grjfer said:

what about the large hose on the passenger side valve cover going into the air box?

833CA597-5A2E-4ABD-B386-0BC3ED8B2F05.jpeg