Jobs Report

Grumpy Bear

According to the US labor department October added 531,000 new jobs.

However 4,400,000 people resigned from their jobs. 

"The Great Resignation"?

8 times more people left the workforce than were added to it.

Is this a labor shortage?

No wonder I can't find a good hotdog!

:rollin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Grumpy this is only the beginning my good man. Ish is going to hit the fan due to Falseys bull. Its gonna get bad and no one will like what happens next. Nothing but lies are being told. There is about to be a mass walkout of police, hospital staff and soldiers. Food shortages are on the way and no one forsees this.

I’ve read that some parents have decided to stay home and raise their kids. After seeing what’s being taught in school lowering their life style is a good trade off. Adding to the equation that unless both parents make a lot of money. The second paycheck doesn’t cover the additional expense of  child care etc. Some of the lessons learned while being stuck at home last year.

• Like 2

I like to believe the future is good and proceed accordingly.  I do follow current events and know I could sit back in recliner with a beer in hand and curse at the TV all day long.   Or, I can join any of the many protests that block our streets on a regular basis.  There is little value in wallowing in doom and gloom.  I have spent the past two days shuttling seniors to the palliative care unit to share happy memories with a mutual friend.  These are 80 & 90 year old people who have lived through some very sad times and statistically have limited futures. You'd think that this demographic would have a right to be full of doom and gloom but, without exception, their views on the future are positive. I had lunch with three seniors yesterday and the conversations of EV's was raised.  The research that backed up their opinions was outstanding.  Their motivation for pursuing this purchasing decision had absolutely nothing to do with finances or powertrain preferences.  They all wanted to do their part in reducing their personal impact on climate change.   "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem,"  was the mantra of this seasoned crew! 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Grumpy this is only the beginning my good man. Ish is going to hit the fan due to Falseys bull. Its gonna get bad and no one will like what happens next. Nothing but lies are being told. There is about to be a mass walkout of police, hospital staff and soldiers. Food shortages are on the way and no one forsees this.

Matt. 24:38,39

For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be

Jesus words when answering the disciples request for a sign of the end of this system of things.

Note that part of the sign is 'they' would take no note of it?  Not see it? Ignore it? 

Q:

Who are 'they" Jesus is speaking of?

A:

2 Peter 2:5

Now note verse 44 of chapter 24 in Matthew. (read chapter 23 for the setup and 24 for the sign)

Not everyone will be caught off guard 😉 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I like to believe the future is good and proceed accordingly.  I do follow current events and know I could sit back in recliner with a beer in hand and curse at the TV all day long.   Or, I can join any of the many protests that block our streets on a regular basis.  There is little value in wallowing in doom and gloom.  I have spent the past two days shuttling seniors to the palliative care unit to share happy memories with a mutual friend.  These are 80 & 90 year old people who have lived through some very sad times and statistically have limited futures. You'd think that this demographic would have a right to be full of doom and gloom but, without exception, their views on the future are positive. I had lunch with three seniors yesterday and the conversations of EV's was raised.  The research that backed up their opinions was outstanding.  Their motivation for pursuing this purchasing decision had absolutely nothing to do with finances or powertrain preferences.  They all wanted to do their part in reducing their personal impact on climate change.   "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem,"  was the mantra of this seasoned crew! 😉 

I’m all for change. It’s always worked out that the private sector sometimes through incentives solves the problems with supply and demand. Much better than the government forcing the issue by creating artificial shortages like that’s being done with petroleum. Usually like with this latest government forced issue the poor and lower middle class suffers. The rise in inflation would have been devastating to me started out in my 20s. There would have no time to plan for the sudden rise in prices for everything. Gas alone would have killed the budget effecting the food purchased. This all in just in the last few months. This winter there will plenty of unfortunate people wishing for warming of any kind. Man made global warming, the latest con. 

• Thanks 1

Observation:

In that same period  US disposable income rose 2% so it kinda macro balances out the 4.9% unemployment vs 6.2% inflation.  People have options and leaving corporate America to start their own gig is a good thing. If you are a young working family  that can't get AFFORDABLE childcare you or your partner may be sitting out going back because of that high cost. 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:55 AM, KARNUT said:

I’m all for change. It’s always worked out that the private sector sometimes through incentives solves the problems with supply and demand. Much better than the government forcing the issue by creating artificial shortages like that’s being done with petroleum. Usually like with this latest government forced issue the poor and lower middle class suffers. The rise in inflation would have been devastating to me started out in my 20s. There would have no time to plan for the sudden rise in prices for everything. Gas alone would have killed the budget effecting the food purchased. This all in just in the last few months. This winter there will plenty of unfortunate people wishing for warming of any kind. Man made global warming, the latest con. 

Please expand on how the  government creating petroleum supply decrease? Last I worked for big oil they had very little government affectation on supply, refining, extraction.  I would offer the fact OPEC won't lower their prices nor pump more oil as the main issue. Note too that US producers send more product overseas than remains here because they make more profit.  I know west refineries are down for maintenance in the past 30 days or so, but should be coming back on line at 100% soon. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, customboss said:

Please expand on how the  government creating petroleum supply decrease? Last I worked for big oil they had very little government affectation on supply, refining, extraction.  I would offer the fact OPEC won't lower their prices nor pump more oil as the main issue. Note too that US producers send more product overseas than remains here because they make more profit.  I know west refineries are down for maintenance in the past 30 days or so, but should be coming back on line at 100% soon. 

Easy, day one of the new administration  stop one pipeline in its tracks. Reduce future leases from 10 to five years on government (our) land. Limiting profit potential. Approving Russia pipeline that was previously stopped. Recently convening a meeting at the White House asking the big oil companies to cutback on production. Remember we up until a few months ago were net exporters of oil. Naturally the oil companies are take less risk when it obvious the current administration is anti oil. I dealt with oil related business for 50 years before retirement. But it’s all over the news even CNN. The government not involved in oil? That’s a good one! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Easy, day one of the new administration  stop one pipeline in its tracks. Reduce future leases from 10 to five years on government (our) land. Limiting profit potential. Approving Russia pipeline that was previously stopped. Recently convening a meeting at the White House asking the big oil companies to cutback on production. Remember we up until a few months ago were net exporters of oil. Naturally the oil companies are take less risk when it obvious the current administration is anti oil. I dealt with oil related business for 50 years before retirement. But it’s all over the news even CNN. The government not involved in oil? That’s a good one! 

Keystone XL  pipeline was moving Canadian Tar and Crude for Canada not US markets. 

US Gov leases having any effect on current fuel prices. I.E. long term issue. Not to mention that product would also be sold overseas.  Profit $$$ over patriotism

Russia NG gas pipeline was for Germany, little affect here since the cost of shipping US lower methane content NG not profitable once shipped.  I worked for Cummins on Russian mining interests and the methane content of Siberian NG is so much more concentrated our US NG was wanting.  In other words even more expensive BEFORE shipping over on a boat. 

US is still net exporter of oil to world. 

US gov does not control oil prices OPEC does.  It's a world market. 

I do agree our subsidies of domestic oil would look like government control but really we just subsidize them with tax dollars with very little control or benefit. Oil Change International showed US subsidies at $20.5 billion annually of which $14.7 billion is federal while states pump in $5.8 billion.  

I

Keystone was going to bring their product here for refining. Trump negotiated stopping Russia pipeline with Germany. He said to them we’re your allies we’ll supply your needs. Your giving power to Russia. It was just given the green light by Biden. Giving the power back to Russia. We became the maximum producer of oil and gas during the last administration. Thus controlling the market. That just changed in the last 8 months. By design.  My last few statements were a little harsh. I believe you mean well as I. So I deleted. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Confused 1

We disagree, no need to be harsh about anything my friend. 

When OPEC began overproducing who was in charge in US? US presidents of any party have NO control of oil prices. 

Do you remember what happened to US oil field?  Yes the market crashed for the US oil producers and NEW fracking stopped. I was still in West Texas then and the economy there went from boom to bust. I think your attributions are skewed by improper cause and effect. 

Here's a respectful reminder based on fact : https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/2020/oil-crash-timeline/

I think there are a lot of reasons for the imbalances in labor markets we are experiencing.  If someone cites a single reason for current labor conditions, they either are trying to sell something or are uninformed.  The reality is we have a few more million job openings than we have active unemployed all the while the Fed keeps real interest rates negative, ostensibly to give the least employable a helping hand.  

The net result of these monetary flights of fancy is asset values are pretty much in bubble territory anywhere you look and people now are starting to cast furtive glances in the direction of inflation, inflation that is serious and everywhere.

Who gets hit the hardest by inflation?  The very people Jay Powell is supposedly trying to help with his current policy.  You can cut the irony with a chainsaw.

Nothing exceeds like excess and we have been living in times of great excess for quite a while now.  If history is a teacher, these things tend to be self correcting, normally with great pain served to the widest possible audience.  Like so many times before, those on the bottom of the economic ladder will suffer the most, the political elite will be served a cornucopia of new reasons why they should keep their gig.

In the very long term, things do generally get better for those of the most modest resources. In the shorter term, we have human nature in all its glorious splendor and hubris guiding policy and outcomes.  Great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, customboss said:

We disagree, no need to be harsh about anything my friend. 

When OPEC began overproducing who was in charge in US? US presidents of any party have NO control of oil prices. 

Do you remember what happened to US oil field?  Yes the market crashed for the US oil producers and NEW fracking stopped. I was still in West Texas then and the economy there went from boom to bust. I think your attributions are skewed by improper cause and effect. 

Here's a respectful reminder based on fact : https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/2020/oil-crash-timeline/

When you have an people in power who are not oil friendly of course the oil companies are going to back off production. Their profits go up with the barrel of oil. They can point their finger to the administration. I know oil companies are still working wells. I know people who work for pipe yards, they’re running 24hr shifts again. The administration is pushing green energy and electric cars. Can’t blame them for pulling back. No one’s talking shortages yet. This is definitely administration generated. It’ll turn around it’ll probably take another election. Opening Alaska, extending oil leases. Stop the worries about another pipeline shutdown. People are finally seeing the cost of everything going up and are pissed off. People didn’t believe me when I said cylinder deactivation wasn’t as advertised. Now with the chip shortage GMs admitting it. It just for numbers in a controlled environment. Our government wants a big push for green energy which they admit. The oil prices are higher by design for that goal. The oil companies are fine with it. More money for them. It’s pretty common knowledge. So we’ll agree to disagree, I’m done with it.